OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Locked for Editing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amaloney
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:01 pm    Post subject: Locked for Editing Reply with quote

Using OOo Dev300m29 on Mac OS X 10.5.4

I have a series of documents that I have been working on for some time.

For some reason, upon attempting to open one of them produces a dialogue box that includes "Document file XXXXX is locked for editing By: A Maloney (26.07.2008 16:13)"

When I change the title, even by one character, the document becomes Read and Write.

None of the other documents that I was working on at the same time shows this.

1. How did I do it (lock the file to read only?

2. How do I undo this to make it Read and Write (I do not want to change the title)?

3. Is there some database of titles that are read only? If so, can I change it?

Thanks
Al Maloney
amaloney
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the help of Brian Barker, the problem is solved.

In Mac OS X there are hidden files in each directory.
The directory containing the file in question had a file that locked my file.
When I removed that blocking file, the problem was solved.

How it got there I don't know.

Al Maloney
ambrose

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:15 am    Post subject: Vista Reply with quote

I edited my file on a Mac, and now I'm trying to edit it on my Vista laptop, but I am getting the same error "Document file .... is locked for editing by" ...

What I had to do was change the way hidden files are displayed by doing the following:

1. Click the round blue Start thing in the left corner
2. Click Control Panel
3. Click Folder Options
4. Click the View tab
5. Click Show hidden files and folders
6. If you want to see system files as well, unclick Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)
7. Click OK

Hope this saves someone some time!
rebelxt
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I created a situation for myself when I copied a folder containing a spreadsheet while that spreadsheet was open in Calc. Then I couldn't figure out why I kept getting a 'Document file is locked for editing' error message. This thread has supplied the answer. Since the system is Ubuntu Linux, I opened a file browser, clicked 'View>Show Hidden Files', then navigated to the folder containing my spreadsheet. It contained a file named ".~lock...". After deleting that file, I could again open my spreadsheet in edit mode.
Theonomy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:44 am    Post subject: Re: Vista Reply with quote

ambrose wrote:
I edited my file on a Mac, and now I'm trying to edit it on my Vista laptop, but I am getting the same error "Document file .... is locked for editing by" ...

What I had to do was change the way hidden files are displayed by doing the following:
That's not what fixed it for me.

For me, the files I was trying to open were on an external hard drive. I showed all hidden files, but there were no relevant hidden files related to this problem.

It turns out that the problem was fixed by changing permissions. In "Computer" (formerly known as "My Computer" I right clicked on the external hard drive, then under the "security" tab I changed the permissions, allowing all users to have full control of files on the hard drive.

The problem was immediately fixed.

Hopefully others find this useful.
mjverostek

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The network resource accessing the file did not disconnect properly.

The following file is present:
.~lock.[filename_full]#

It contains the following information:
,[COMPUTERNAME]/[username],[computername],[date] [time],[locking_process_location];

This can happen when the locking process is unexpectedly terminated while the resource is still allocated.

Attempt to deallocate the resource from the locking process by ensuring the process is running, ensuring that it has the resource allocated, then manually deallocating the resource from the process.

Or just make sure the process is terminated and delete the following file:
.~lock.[filename_full]#

Basically, run OpenOffice from the computer that locked it under the user that locked it, open the file and then close the file. The .~lock.[filename_full]# file should be deleted by the process when you close it.

This usually happens when some jack ass just presses the power button on their computer instead of shutting it down properly and it screws up file access for everyone on the network.

I even attempted to restart Samba and no luck.

DON'T DELETE THIS FILE YOURSELF
~~~
So get your netadmin to check to see if the computer that locked the file is active on the network and if not have them delete the .~lock.[filename_full]# file.

If you try to delete it yourself you may screw up a valid resource allocation. Someone may legitimately be using that file, or it may become corrupted. If you can't get a hold of a network administrator then simply copy the file and work off of that.
~~~
DON'T DELETE THIS FILE YOURSELF
rebelxt
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjverostek: You are absolutely correct -- when you are in a network environment with multiple users. My situation is that there is no network and I am the only user. Therefore it was perfectly safe and reasonable for me to delete the .~lock file, as I was the user who committed the unpardonable sin of shutting down the computer without terminating the program, thereby leaving the .~lock file on the disk.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: