OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Importing Data

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gdonwallace
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:18 pm    Post subject: Importing Data Reply with quote

I have been using Access for some time now. I do the majority of my work in Excel with Comma delimited files. I am able to easily import these files into Access, do what I need and then export them again.

My problem is no easy way to get the data from the csv to base. If there is an easier way than cutting and pasting, I would really like to know. As I am wanting to get rid of MS Office totally and move to OOo. But if the only way to get data accros is through cut-n-paste ,then I cannot. The main database I use with export over 130,000 lines. I also have another spreadsheet with over 90,000 lines. Both of which cannot work in OOo Calc due to the row restrictions.

Any help in getting this data into OOo Base would be appreciated.
MSPhobe
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know all the details... maybe someone more knowledgable will jump in and expand the following, or say "Can't do it that way" (!), but the following occurs to me....

ooBase is, at heart, a SQL rdms

I wonder if you could....

Set up a shell of the database you want, and then...
Use some "raw" SQL from within ooBase to execute a SQL "UPDATE"?

(I think you would still have to go via the "lingua franca" ("esperanto"?!) of CSV... but maybe even that's not necessary?)

I hope someone will step in and say this CAN be done... the cut/paste method IS pretty crude!
RPG
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

If you search on CSV and Sliderule you get more specific information about what you want knew

this is a first link
http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=73175&highlight=csv+sliderule

I have little experience whit CSV and it is working good. But as home user not with
so great number as you use

I hope it helps you,
Romke
karelc
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just used the CSV format plus cut & paste to get 150,000 records into a newly created database. I edited the CSV file to make 3 smaller files, to stay within the number of records that Calc can handle, and I included the field names on the first line of each file. Making the 3 files only took a few minutes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: