OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Control cursor movement when 'enter' is pressed?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ramirin
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:40 am    Post subject: Control cursor movement when 'enter' is pressed? Reply with quote

Is it possible to control 'enter' button behaviour in certain cells?

I mean, when I fill up 'database' I would like to move one step right until I'm in column C then skip column D and E to F and then I wan't to move to next row to column A. Same thing with next row and next and next...
RickRandom
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could:

1. Hide the columns which you don't want to fill in.

2. Highlight the whole area where you will type the data.

3. As you press Enter, it will move to the next cell (provided you have set that in Tools, Options).

Any use?
ramirin
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't hide cells, for example:

I write product code to A2, B2 get product name (vlookup another sheet), C2 get product description (vlookup another sheet), D2 is for quantity. Then next row A3 product code, B3 name, C3 desc, D3 qty and so on.. Continues for ~20 rows..

Is it possible to make macro (or something) so that if I press enter in column E, cursor goes one step down and 4 steps left (or to A column, next row)?

Hope you understand what I mean..
keme

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Unprotect the data entry cells.
Select columns A and D, then Format - Cells. In the Cell protection tab untick Protected.

2) Enable sheet protection.
Select Tools - Protect document - Sheet...

3) Start data entry.
The tab key will move to the next unprotected cell. Enter key will move to the next row, the column where you started tabbing.

If you want to use the enter key for next cell, select Tools - Options..., then expand branch OpenOffice.calc - General and select Right selection movement by the enter key. This is an application-wide setting, though, so it will affect all your spreadsheet work, not just this sheet.
ramirin
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I'm just too demanding, but I'd like to move with enter because I have separate number pad and there is not tab key in it..

So I have set enter to move one step right, but if I fill only columns K, L and M I would like the cursor to jump from M back to K (next row of course)..

Maybe it's not possible but if someone knows how to do, please share the information..

EDIT: Behaviour should be just like with tab key. Thanks for that tip, will give it a try..

Not open office issue, but can I somehow add tab command to my external usb numpad? There is useless button writing 000 (three zeros with one tap), maybe it could be reprogrammed?
keme

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The movement when pressing enter is not restricted to unlocked cells. I didn't bother to test that before my previous post. My mistake, sorry!

However, if you select the range for data entry, movement by both tab and enter will be restricted to the selected range.

Trouble is, using the arrow keys will immediately un-select the range...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: