OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Polynomial Long Division

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Math
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cniall

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:58 am    Post subject: Polynomial Long Division Reply with quote

How would I express polynomial long division (specifically the 'division sign'--I'm unsure of its formal name) in OOo Math?
Robert Tucker

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Polynomial Long Division Reply with quote

cniall wrote:
How would I express polynomial long division (specifically the 'division sign'--I'm unsure of its formal name) in OOo Math?

If you mean the )¯¯¯ see:

www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=38588
id4abel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I am far to late to help the original poster I often get answers from forums that are months or even years old so maybe this can help someone in the future. I tried the options above and a few more and they worked fine (couldn't make the LaTeX work) for long division of whole numbers but caused problems for polynomials. I came up with a decent, if not perfect solution. Used Insert, Object, Formula within Writer after tabs to place the answer polynomial at the top then a simple return to get to then next line. Another Formula for the divided by polynomial then a tab before placing another Formula for the divided polynomial. Return to get to the next line and tabs to line up this new Formula. Have to keep adding new lines, Formulas and tabs while re-opening to keep adding to the answer polynomial until I get a remainder. Format, Frame, Borders, clicked top and left to get something that looks like a long division symbol around the divided polynomial. [img]http://id4abel.250free.com/math.polynomial.long.div.ooo.gif[/img]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Math All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: