OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

BIG Problem between OpenOffice and Microsoft Office

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spock1104

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 10:23 pm    Post subject: BIG Problem between OpenOffice and Microsoft Office Reply with quote

Okay, I have a friend who needed an office program. I suggested she get OpenOffice, she installed it, found she still needed Microsoft Office instead. So she got that and installed it. Now there are apparently all sorts of errors happening in both programs ever since the Microsoft Office installation (big surprise Laughing ) Unfortunately I don't have any sort of error codes or anything as she is unable to tell me what they are. About the only specific problem I know of is Microsoft PowerPoint saying it's unable to read POT files. Apparently associations for microsoft files were switched to OpenOffice and didn't switch back upon the installation of microsoft office, I had her check the association and it was set to open with openoffice.

I had her try an uninstall of OpenOffice, and also a forced uninstall through the setup program in the program subfolder of the OpenOffice folder (using the -deinstall switch). Apparently every time she tried the program it would immediately close with no sign of ever opening. Evil or Very Mad So, are there any other commands that could force an uninstallation of all files and registry settings? Or maybe possible that a batch file can be made to remove every single trace of OpenOffice files and registry settings?
Also, a few uninstalls/reinstalls have been tried with Microsoft Office.
The versions in question here are OpenOffice.org 1.1.0 and Microsoft Office for Students and Teachers 2003.

I'm not even sure myself how a conflict like this could occur but needless to say it's driving her nuts and driving me nuts now. I appreciate any help I can get with this.
Gabor
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 12:38 am    Post subject: uninstall Reply with quote

If somebody wants to uninstall OOo, first he shold uninstall it through the program's (OOo's) OWN install program. Then he may run Windows's built-in Remove option (not necessary!) but if he does all this in the opposite order, problems are likely to arise. This seems to have happened to her.

Another problem was perhaps that, when installing OOo, she associated all three basic MS file types (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) with OOo.
They will have to be reassociated. It has to be done in Windows.

(Supposing she has Windows.)

You may perhaps install OOo (slowly and carefully, checking all options during the process) on your machine, then uninstall again and when you are successfully over with this, you may ask her to take the telephone and you "dictate" her click by click what to do next as she seems to need it. Probably (in order to be able to perform a real and full uninstall of OOo) OOo will have to be installed first, as it may have left litter on the machine if uninstalled improperly.
Spock1104

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, well, like i said,we tried through OOo's setup program, by just opening it and by trying to use the -deinstall paramater. It just won't even open. and yes, she is on windows.

I tried walking her through the file assosciations, but even that didn't fix it for some reason. What I really don't understand though is since OOo was installed BEFORE Microsoft Office, why weren't the associations changed to MS upon that installation!?

I've performed the uninstall many times on my own machines, never a problem. Next chance I get I'll walk her through booting in safe mode and see if OOo's setup program will decide to open then, it could very well be something is booting on her computer that is conflicting with the setup program, causing it to terminate. Or I also noticed that a few files missing from the OOo folders can stop setup from unpackaging, so I'll also have her try a repair install and uninstall. Either that or her computer is haunted and she needs a priest to take a look at it.
The Liquidator
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is not a virus, there may be another explanation:

OOo and MS Office 97 run quite happily on my Win98SE machine. However, from what I have seen of Microsoft Software, every new version is more intrusive than the last and it may simply be that that means they don't get on together. Or it may be that both were fighting over ownership of the MS Office docs, as MSO does not appear to have taken proper control.

Whilst I am guessing to a degree, would it be an accurate guess to say both programs were configured to run at startup, which is the default? It may help if you disable the OOo quickstarter, so OOo won't run until you tell it to, and do likewise with MSO. That may resolve the conflict.

So far as OOo is concerned, it puts next to nothing in the registry at least in Win 98. In Win 98 the only files seem to be installed in the OOo directory, and the Windows\application data. To make sure you uninstall properly, you need to reinstall it. Proceed as follows:

Turn off all non-essential background tasks (including virus scanner) and the office quickstarter.
Delete the OOo directory (unless you have setup any user files that need to be kept)
Remove the file sversion.ini which is in the windows\application data folder
Reinstall. Do not tick the boxes which offer to use OOo to open MS docs.
Repair MS Office (you will of course need the CD for this)

If you want to remove OOo you need to simply double click the setup shortcut in the OOo directory and when you get the splash screen choose remove - you don't need any switches as such.

One point: You say she found that after installing OOo your friend found she needed MSO. Why was that please?

Ian
Spock1104

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already confirmed that OOo has been disabled on startup. I had her make sure of that after changing a few of the associations, so that they wouldn't be reverted. The conflict was still there.

It was my take on things that she was still a bit unfamiliar with how to use OOo programs, and also since this is for college she needed to make presentations with it that she could show her classes. I guess she wasn't able to use the OOo presentations in MSO to show her classes and was having to use computers in the computer labs to do it. Her college doesn't have a Campus License Agreement so if their students want to use MSO they have to buy it, which is why I had suggested OOo in the first place.

Thanks for the suggestions thusfar. So next chance I get I'll walk her through a reinstall or OOo, making sure MSO files don't associate with it, and then have her uninstall OOo. Not sure when that will be, but I'll be sure to post back with the results.
Spock1104

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I forgot to mention, the only reason I had her try the switch was because the normal setup program hadn't opened, so I figured it was worth a shot.
The Liquidator
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What OS and OOo version is she using?

Bear in mind also that OOo will save presentations in powerpoint format. In those circumstances it ought to have been possible to install the free word\excel\powerpoint viewers (to check everything is OK) but then I have a first class honours in hindsight!

Ian
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: