OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

How to select a named range using keyboard?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TakenItEasy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: How to select a named range using keyboard? Reply with quote

I just changed over from MS Works and am new to OO3.

Previously I used Auto Hot Key to select a named range in Works via <ctrl>g, delete the old contents then select a named cell at upper left of range and pasted new text from the clipboard.

I am having trouble finding a way to do this in OO3 Calc. Selecting named ranges seems to require picking from a list with the mouse. AHK needs to use keyboard commands.

For now I would like to stick with AHK instead of VB because I have hundreds of hours already invested in AHK programming.

Is there any alternative to the above method I used for Works? Swapping text or number data using the clipboard is crucial for my project. The data I clip comes from various sources and not any DB or document.

I used named ranges and cells before because cell addresses could change as I develop the spread sheet but names don't.

Edit to add: If VB is the only solution than I will consider changing over but all I really need is a way to select a named range using only the keyboard.
keme

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit: Forget this, see Villeroy's solution below.

You can press F6 to cycle through the tools (toolbars, menus, toolboxes, etc.). It seems that the sequence is menu bar, docked tools, address field, floating tools, then back to the cell grid.

You want to select the address field. How many F6-keypresses you need for that depends on how many toolbars you have enabled. However, shift+F6 cycles backwards, so if you make sure you have no floating tools, I believe a single shift+F6 will select the address field. You can then type the range name in the address field and press enter.

I tested with a few toolbar changes, and the above sequence seems to hold. You may want to test it thoroughly to confirm the cycle sequence if this is something you're developing for others.

Last edited by keme on Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Villeroy
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ctrl+Shift+T and Ctrl+Shift+F5 take you to the name box.
See also Tools>Customize...Keyboard, Category:Application, Function:Sheet Area Input Field
TakenItEasy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guy's.

I don't have time to try it right now but these answers look like what I need.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: