OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

label templates for openoffice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gardenlen
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:07 am    Post subject: label templates for openoffice Reply with quote

g'day,

not sure where i should broach this subject?

we wanted to print some mailing labels, so did a search for online downloads of label templates, but that got us completely lost as none of the templates have a 16 label page template.

the labels we have are:
tudor L16
A4 sheet size
16 labels per sheet.

is there any simple set up for us please?

none of the above appears in any template lists.

all and any help much appreciated

tia

len
thomasjk
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there is no matching template built into OOo, you can design your own by using File--->New Labels. On the Label tab select "User" as the type. On the format tab you can then input the dimensions that match the labels you have and save.
Quote:
Edit: Found this link http://www.worldlabel.com/Pages/openoffice-a4.htm that may help
gardenlen
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g'day thomas,

we tried that but it failed to work for us.

are you able to provide is with more specific instruction especially to do with <labels - format>?

that link was one we went to but it didn't seem to have any help for us.

tia

len
thomasjk
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the format tab you can input the actual dimensions of the labels you have. This label from World Label seems to match what you have: http://tudorgroup.com.au/content.asp?document_id=2770
34mm x 99mm WL-SG3499 L7162, L8162 16
The L7162 and L8162 are the Avery Label cross reference numbers which are included in OOo. Perhaps you could try these. Print to plain paper first.
See this article http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/articles/mail_merge_openoffice_org for a good explanation. This site is also a good resource http://openoffice.blogs.com/openoffice/ .
gardenlen
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g'day thomas,

some of this stuff is right over my head.

the figures we first put into the new labels etc.,. part of it how can we get rid of them? or start anew? in that area we changed a whole lot of parameters on the label format to try and make it work, not just added the label dimentions.

this earlier link you gave us:

http://www.worldlabel.com/Pages/openoffice-a4.htm

we found a 16 label template which we downloaded it gave us a page of blank labels that looked perfect, now from there we got lost again as we couln't figure how to type in what we wanted on the labels, so i tried just typing in on one label and then copying it to all others that sort of worked, but guess there must be a better way?

don't want to take up too much of yor time but my comprhension of this process is fairly low.

many thanks

len
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Thomas is trying to tell you is do File > New > Labels and on the Labels tab select Avery A4 from the Brands drop down menu. Then select L7162 from the Type drop down menu and see if that matches your labels.

He also mentions L8162 but I could not find that one (v3 under Windows).
thomasjk
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the other choice might be J8162. The World label site says L8162 but as JohnV points out there isn't an L8162 template.
See this blog http://openoffice.blogs.com/openoffice/labels/ . Scroll down to the July 13, 2006 entry. Its old but still applies.
gardenlen
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g'day john & thomas,

when i go file>new>label, >format, all the numbers we put in when we were attempting to make it work are still there is there anyway we can clear those back to the default numbers?? we have it set on averyA4, we have now selected L7162.

thomas gave us a link in the first reply post from him and from that we downlaoded a 16 lable page that shows 16 blank lables on an A4 page, that looks good but now how do we make it so our details appear on the labels?

tia

len
thomasjk
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Click the Reset button.
I recommend you look at the links I gave you to gain a better understanding of the whole process.
If you want to use the World Labels Template do the following:
1)Open the Template in Writer.
2)Click Edit-->Exchange Database. Click Browse and find the spreadsheet or database file that is your source file.
3)Click Open and then Click Close.
4)Press F4 to display the data sources and click on the + sign in the top left window to expand the directory. for your data source
5)Click on the Sheet or Table to display your records.
6)Click on the column header and drag the fields to the first position of template in the order you want them.
7)Format the first label to suit you. Click Insert--->Fields-->Other. Click the Database Tab and Click Next Record, Click Insert and Close. Copy the first label to all the other label positions.
8) File Save as ODF Text Document Template file(.ott). Name the file as you wish.
gardenlen
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g'day thomas,

we tried the reset button on a number of ocassions and nothing changes it is like the whole program has a mind of its own.

many thanks for your help to date, at this stage it looks a bit beyond us, maybe the linux people could look at simplifying something?? i am able to print the labels we want so for now that gets us out of trouble.

seasons greetings to one and all

len
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: