OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Impress: What are SvOutPlaceObject

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Impress
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 10:31 pm    Post subject: Impress: What are SvOutPlaceObject Reply with quote

Hi,

When I insert drawings in a presentation, I am getting from time to time "SvOutPlaceObject" symbol (like a piece of a puzzle) instead of the drawing,
even if I do not modify at all the file.

What is the meaning of this "symbol"?

What should we do to make sure that the drawing appears and not this "symbol"?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,

Paascal.
Malachi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 2:35 pm    Post subject: SvOutPlaceObject Reply with quote

I don't know. I'm getting them too. I'm using OpenOffice.org v1.1. I noticed that all of my Presentation graphics were replaced by puzzle pieces and the "SvOutPlaceObject" label after I used the menu options File->Versions->"Save New Version".

Crap, with 30 minutes left until my presentation, and this happens.
The Liquidator
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen this happen to me, although I have got round it but don't quite know why. I occasionally see it happening also to scanned signatures on my faxes.

It seems to happen most of all when graphics are inserted into a document\presentation by just using ctrl+c and ctrl+v. You will probably be better off either using edit\paste special or by using insert\file if the graphic is a separate file in itself.

Also, if the graphics were originally in MS documents, I think sometimes they are saved in a special MS format. If OOo cannot understand the format (or doesn't know how it should save it) then you won't have a prayer when you save and reopen.

I have found you get the best results (which incidentally translate back perfectly to powerpoint) if when you have inserted the graphic you right click on it and select convert\to metafile.

Hope this helps.

Malachi. Sorry about your presentation - it's a bummer I know.

Ian
cplyon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got around this with a word doc by converting to html first, then just importing the graphics
r_vinoya
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of our users also experienced " "SvOutPlaceObject".

In my observation (I may be wrong you know)... This occurence happens when the user copy/paste drawing from an "Embedded" Visio drawing in word to OO impress. I think that the Impress could not recognize the Embedded Visio format or other embedded formats (pbrush for example).

One solution that I made is to
1) copy/paste first the "problematic" picture format to an image editor program ("The GIMP")
2) save it to temporary filename recognized by OO (ex. .jpg)
3) and use Insert=>Graphic at Impress

Lot of works, but it works.

(Although sometimes I experienced memory problem doing this... I need to buy Faster PC... Can you give me some? Joke Only Laughing )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Impress All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: