OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

[Mac PPC OSX 10.5.6] Ooo 3 taking 1m 20s to open documents

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
digitaltoast
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:12 am    Post subject: [Mac PPC OSX 10.5.6] Ooo 3 taking 1m 20s to open documents Reply with quote

I am trying to persuade my partner's company to use OpenOffice 3, but they've hit a real problem. Two of them use Apple Mac Powerbook G4s with 1Gb RAM running 1.67Ghz processors.
It takes ONE MINUTE and 15 seconds from clicking a document, to it FIRST being ready tor read. During this time, process monitor DOESN'T show high usage or memory, and if we close OO completely, then re-open the document, it "only" takes 30 seconds. Once running, it's fine.

What we don't understand is that on the Mac, Word 2007 takes 3 seconds to open it, and OO is very quick on the other laptop, which is XP but is is an OLDER model than the Mac!

So, if there's a quickstarter for the mac, we'd sure like to know about it, but I've googled and the answer seems to be no.
khelben1979
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me the Open Office quickstarter lies here:
Code:
C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 3\program\

Double click on the quickstart icon in the catalog where you have Open Office 3 installed, then it will appear.

There's also a wiki document which describes the functionality of the quickstarter if you need this too. You'll find it here: http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/OOoAuthors_User_Manual/Getting_Started/Using_the_Quickstarter_under_Windows

(I see that you are on a MacOS X system, although there should be something similiar for it, I think.)
digitaltoast
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

khelben1979 wrote:
For me the Open Office quickstarter lies here:
Code:
C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 3\program\

Double click on the quickstart icon in the catalog where you have Open Office 3 installed, then it will appear.

There's also a wiki document which describes the functionality of the quickstarter if you need this too. You'll find it here: http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/OOoAuthors_User_Manual/Getting_Started/Using_the_Quickstarter_under_Windows

(I see that you are on a MacOS X system, although there should be something similiar for it, I think.)
No, this is the problem. The first suggestion just increases mac start time greatly, the second is just for windows - I've googled myself silly and can't find a quickstarter for the Mac version
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: