OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Installing 003 to Ubunto - might be helpful

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
metcomm
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:44 am    Post subject: Installing 003 to Ubunto - might be helpful Reply with quote

Hi everyone, as with previous versions, I had a few problems installing the new 003, but with my limited experience and after a bit of "trial & error" I managed to install with relative smooth success - the problem is that most documentation is conflictive & for older versions so those with limited computer savvy might find it dauntingly impossible ..... so I hope this might be useful for someone out there:

From Setup Guides for OpenOffice.org 2.x >>> Installing from Linux RPMs I edited the text to read:

1. Download to your Desktop (or to a temporary download location folder) http://ftp.spnet.net/openoffice/stable/3.0.0/OOo_3.0.0_LinuxIntel_install_wJRE_en-US.tar.gz
2. Open Terminal and su to root (if you don't have permissions, use sudo before each command)
3. Navigate to your download location (where you download the file in step 1 above)
4. tar xvzf OOo_3.0.0_LinuxIntel_install_wJRE_en-US.tar.gz
(This will create a source directory with the OpenOffice.org installation files. The directory will have a rather long name but be prefixed by "OOO3...")
5. Navigate to the "OOO300 ..." source directory.
6. cd into the RPMS subdirectory of the source directory.
You should see a lot of rpms here and one sub-directory called "desktop-integration".
7. Install the alien utility for converting RPM packages to native Debian packages
(.DEB) with command 'apt-get install alien' or by manually
downloading from http://packages.debian.org/alien/.
8. Run command 'alien -k *.rpm' to produce .deb packages
9. Install .deb packages with command:
dpkg -i -–force-overwrite openoffice.org*.deb
and then with command:
dpkg -i -–force-overwrite ooobasis3*.deb
Note: Using -–force-overwrite option can prevent errors where files belong to several
packages.
10. cd to desktop-integration folder
11. dpkg -i openoffice.org3.0-debian-menus*.deb (this will setup your desktop menu)
12. Exit from administrator (root) shell with command 'exit'

Now you can see & run OpenOffice normally in your Applications>Office menu Smile

Idea : To clean up & save space you can now delete the file downloaded in step 1 and the source directory created in step 4 above.

I'm sure that there might be an "easier way" but this works okay for me - I couldn't find anything new in the repositories which would have obviously automated things.

I hope this helps someone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Installing 003 to Ubunto - might be helpful Reply with quote

metcomm wrote:
I'm sure that there might be an "easier way"

Indeed: [Ubuntu] Installing OOo on Debian and Co. Wink
metcomm
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Installing 003 to Ubunto - might be helpful Reply with quote

Hagar de l'Est wrote:
metcomm wrote:
I'm sure that there might be an "easier way"

Indeed: [Ubuntu] Installing OOo on Debian and Co. Wink

Basically same but prettier - all good info though ....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Installing 003 to Ubunto - might be helpful Reply with quote

metcomm wrote:
Basically same

The point was that you don't need to use the RPMs and alien anymore, .debs are now available.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: