OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Check for Updates failed after updating to 3.2.1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gedecker
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:02 am    Post subject: Check for Updates failed after updating to 3.2.1 Reply with quote

Yesterday, I upgraded from OpenOffice.org 3.2.0 to 3.2.1, using Check for Updates. Now, after installing 3.2.1, I ran Check for Updates again just to make sure everything was up to date, and I get the following error message: Checking for an update failed.

I thought, perhaps, that the PC needed to be rebooted after installation, so I shut the PC down for the night and then tried again this morning, and received the same result. This is not the message I would expect to see if there are no updates available. I am running Windows XP Media Center edition, SP3. Any ideas?
thomasjk
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The update feature is not very robust. Its likely that the server is down. Better to download directly from www.openoffice.org .
gedecker
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thomasjk wrote:
The update feature is not very robust. Its likely that the server is down. Better to download directly from www.openoffice.org .

That's possible, but I had just successfully performed an update from 3.2.0 using the very same feature, only about 10-15 minutes prior to installing 3.2.1, which is what was leading me to believe otherwise.
thomasjk
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I just did a check and I get "Update failed" with 3.2.1. Its not very robust as I said.
gedecker
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thomasjk wrote:
Well I just did a check and I get "Update failed" with 3.2.1. Its not very robust as I said.

Seeing as how it was working last night in version 3.2.0, and has not worked since in version 3.2.1, I'm inclined to believe there is a problem with the functionality in version 3.2.1, and not a server issue. I know there are other ways to get updates (that's true of almost any software), it is much easier to check for updates from the application, versus browsing out to OpenOffice.org periodically. I don't have to do this on any other software.
thomasjk
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not Version 3.2.1. I have seen this error reported many times in different versions. I agree its easier to have a built in updater but when its not very robust why waste your time. Search here http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/index.php on "update failed" and you will find many of the same reports.
MisterK

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:54 am    Post subject: It *IS* version 3.2.1 !!! Reply with quote

Dear,

I've updated 3 systems in the last week and on each of them the update function was correctly reporting that 3.2.1 was available when using the function on 3.2 and after upgrading to 3.2.1 it was just giving an error. This really leads me to believe that the fault is with 3.2.1.

Perhaps you should snap out of denial and check what is really going on!

Kind regards,
K
thomasjk
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not in any denial. The issues described with 3.2.1 have also been reported with other releases so its not just 3.2.1.
MisterK

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thomasjk wrote:
I'm not in any denial. The issues described with 3.2.1 have also been reported with other releases so its not just 3.2.1.

But as indicated, I have in the past always used this function without any problem. I've used it minutes before on the same system with 3.2 without any problem and just after installing 3.2.1, the problem becomes omni-present. I've retried a dozen of times and on various of my systems (since the problem you think this is related to is said to be due to load on the server and to depend on "luck" of getting through), but all of those attempts gave the problem, while on a system with 3.2 in the same time-frame the function was still working without problem.

So, in my logic (and I too am a professional SW developer having to deal regularly with error-reports looking more like "feelings" than facts) either 3.2.1 has changed the server it is trying to access or something else has changed in 3.2.1 making its behavior on this front way worse than 3.2!
BillP
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MisterK wrote:
But as indicated, I have in the past always used this function without any problem. I've used it minutes before on the same system with 3.2 without any problem and just after installing 3.2.1, the problem becomes omni-present. I've retried a dozen of times and on various of my systems (since the problem you think this is related to is said to be due to load on the server and to depend on "luck" of getting through), but all of those attempts gave the problem, while on a system with 3.2 in the same time-frame the function was still working without problem.

So, in my logic (and I too am a professional SW developer having to deal regularly with error-reports looking more like "feelings" than facts) either 3.2.1 has changed the server it is trying to access or something else has changed in 3.2.1 making its behavior on this front way worse than 3.2!

I just did an update check and got "OpenOffice.org 3.2 is up to date" with OOo 3.2.1. Try using Google to search the forum for "update failed". You'll see that this is not a new issue. I had OOo 3.2.0 installed last week and wanted to try the "automatic update". The update check failed for at least 2 hours before finally succeeding. Based on my experience, I'm inclined to believe that it was OOo 3.2.0 which had the problem that has now been fixed in OOo 3.2.1. (Actually, I don't think anything has changed. It's still a matter of luck.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: