OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

[Solved] Designing forms without using the wizards.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
recumbentrider

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:09 pm    Post subject: [Solved] Designing forms without using the wizards. Reply with quote

I have just installed OpenOffice 3.0.0 (OOO300m9 Build:9358) and I am getting to know the software. (My operating system is Windows XP Home Edition.) I am familiar with designing database applications using MS Access, and I am now trying to teach myself how to do the same thing with OO Base. I am now designing my first Base database application, and so far, I have been able to design tables, index table fields, set up relationships between tables, and enter data into some of the tables.

I am now working on designing a form that uses one of the tables in my database as a record source. I thought I would try doing this without using the wizard, and have a question about the proper procedure to do this. When I click on the 'Forms' icon in the 'Database' window, and click on the 'Create Form in Design View' icon under 'Tasks', a blank form opens. I notice that the 'Forms' button that is used to specify the properties of the form is 'locked out'. It seems that the only way I can activate this button is to place a control on the form (such as a text box), and then select the control. The 'Forms' button is now active, and I can click it to specify the data source of the form. Is this the only way to specify the data source of a form, if one is designing a form without using the wizard? Or am I doing something wrong? (I did some searches in this forum, and found what might be two relevant links:

http://www.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=93567 and http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=75645)

TIA for any help!

recumbentrider

Last edited by recumbentrider on Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
remdelyon
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I do not see which "forms button" you are trying to use, but anyway the simpliest way to manually design a form from a blank page is to use the "form navigator" (in the Form Design Toolbar).
It opens a window showing the structure of your form (forms, subforms and controls inside them). Right click on "Forms", choose "New, Form". That creates the main form (which default name is "standard"). Right click on "standard", choose "properties" : this allows you to rename it and to choose the linked table and everything you need. It works properly with version 3.0 for windows.
recumbentrider

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remdelyon,

Thank you for this help. I was able to do as you instructed with the 'form navigator'. The 'forms' button I was referring to is actually called 'form' in the tool-tip for the button, and (on my Form Design toolbar) is next to the 'form navigator' button. I notice that it becomes active when I open the form navigator, right click on 'Forms', choose 'New, Form', and then select the 'Standard' entry that is created.

I can see that my basic problem was that after I clicked on the 'Create Form In Design View' icon from the main database window, I thought that the blank sheet that opened up was a 'form'. Instead, I get the impression that it is just a blank sheet of paper that you need to create a form on using the form navigator. I am not even sure if this is right; all I am sure of is that I have a lot to learn about this software!

Again, many thanks for your help.

recumbentrider
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: