OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Oo eats Word 2007 page numbers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gminnerup

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:54 am    Post subject: Oo eats Word 2007 page numbers Reply with quote

I am writing a book using both Word 2007 under Vista and Ooo3 under Linux. No major problems moving .doc files between the two, except that whenever Ooo saves a .doc file, the page numbers no longer show in Word. I know that Ooo handles page numbering differently from Word, using page styles, but is there a way of making the page numbers survive the round trip?
I could, of course, switch to OpenOffice altogether and I have seriously considered that. But I need the Word outliner, the Ooo navigator just isn't an acceptable substitute...
AndrewZ

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See the article "A Better Word 2007 Converter [for OpenOffice.org]" which explains how odf-converter-integrator improves OpenOffice.org conversion.

Also, you can save in OpenDocument format. I believe I read that Microsoft Office 2007 Service Pack 2 offers native support for ODF. Otherwise, there are two plugins:
http://www.sun.com/software/star/odf_plugin/get.jsp
http://odf-converter.sourceforge.net/
* BleachBit
</signature>
gminnerup

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention that even though I'm using Word 2007 I'm saving files in .doc rather than .docx format. But the integrator sounds good and I already have the Sun plugin so maybe .odt is the way to go. Will investigate, meanwhile many thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: