OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

SOLVED - Missing 3.0.1 language modules

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jboland
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:18 pm    Post subject: SOLVED - Missing 3.0.1 language modules Reply with quote

I installed the new 3.0.1 version of OpenOffice in the hope of acquiring the advertised grammer checker capability. However, after installation, there was no grammer checker, no thesaurus, and no spell checker. Looking in Tools/options/language settings/writing aids, I see that no language modules are installed. Changing language choice from default to US english did not help; re-installing OpenOffice did not help, re-downloading and re-installing did not help. There are no extensions on the web site which seem to be related to the 3.0.1 version. Finally, I re-installed the language module for 3.0, which works fine with 3.0.1, except that this is no grammer checker.

Does anyone know whether there are langugage modules for 3.0.1?

FYI, this is a Windows XP box.

Thanks, John

Last edited by jboland on Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:20 am; edited 1 time in total
thomasjk
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread may help http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=67 .
jboland
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much--that is a useful thread.

I had checked the directories earlier. There is no sign of a dictionary or any other language file other than the ones that came with 3.0. Nothing newer than that. And, as I said earlier, when I check Tools/options/language settings/writing aids after installing 3.0.1, there are zero language modules available. It looks very much like the language modules have been left out of the 3.0.1. install -- but if that was the case there should be plenty of people complaining.

And I should add that everything is set for US English, including the default style.

John
thomasjk
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the dictionaries are installed as extensions. Check Tools-->Extension manager.
jboland
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, again. But looking back at this thread, I see I have not been very clear.

This issue is grammer checking. OpenOffice 3.0.1 claims to include grammer checking, and the commands are there in the dialogs. But 3.0.1 installed without any language module at all. I can download and install the 3.0 language module, so spell checking, hyphenation, and the thesaurus work, but no grammer checking. I presume that there was supposed to be a new language module for 3.0.1., but I cannot find it in the install, or online in the extensions library.

John
thomasjk
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question. I have no idea how the Grammar Checking is supposed to work. It does show in the Spellcheck dialogs but I can't tell if its working at all. You may want to ask Here.
jboland
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:41 am    Post subject: Solved Reply with quote

Problem solved - for the moment.

I made yet another search of the extensions library and found an extension that was not there as recently as two days ago. It is <Language Tool-0.9.6.oxt>, dated Jan 21, 2009, and promises grammer checking capability with OpenOffice 3.0.1. (works only with this version)

I installed the extension and it actually goes through the motions of grammer checking. It appears fairly primitive (it saw nothing wrong with "I is" but caught a few other problems), but it is a start. Hopefully better grammer checkers will follow.

Thanks again for the help.

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: