OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Address Labels - Creating & Printing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davidgrove

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:25 am    Post subject: Address Labels - Creating & Printing Reply with quote

OK using 'File - New - Labels', etc.
But when I come to 'New Document', the only database offered to me is 'Bibliography', which I assume to be a sample document. My own database, originally created in Excel but which I have opened and updated using OpenOffice, is not offered, whether or not it is open.
Any ideas, please?
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your Calc file must be registered as a data source.

To do so:
File > New > Database
Put bullet in Connect To Existing Database
Below that select Spreadsheet from the drop down menu
Click Next and browse to your file
Click Finish, complete the wizard and close the file.

Now when you do File > New > Labels you should find your database in the Database drop down menu on the Labels tab. Likewise your table(s) and fields.

Despite what you may have read, the easiest way to design labels is to do so on the Labels tab before you click New Document. Then forget what you may have read about inserting the Next Record field - OOo will do it automatically.

Printing Labels:
Click th Print icon
Answer 'yes' to the 'form letter' query
In the next dialog All records will print by default or you can select records with the gray boxes to their left.
davidgrove

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:57 pm    Post subject: Address Labels - Creating & Printing Reply with quote

Thanks for your swift response, but I'm afraid it still hasn't solved the problem!
I am successfully reaching the stage of browsing to the correct database but, then, if I select FINISH, I am taken directly to the SAVE AS page, which will only allow me to save a file called 'New Database'.
On using the NEW - LABELS procedure, I can now access 'New Database', but it is just that - an empty new database.
If I select NEXT rather than FINISH (see above), I selected the defaults (Yes, register...) and (Open the database...), leading to the same conclusion!
Still need help please.
David Grove
davidgrove

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further to previous response, I have now succeeded in working it out, thanks. Not easy, was it?
Whatever happened to the good old days of MS Works (before it included MS Word) and mail merging labels was simplicity itself!
Without your guidance, I might have been tempted to sarch out the old discs!
Thanks again
David Grove
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'New Database' is just a suggestion, you can overwrite it with whatever you want.

FWIW, if your spreadsheet uses no functions - is just a name and address type of thing then you will be much happier if you do a Save As to dBase format then register that file's directory as your data source. Spreadsheet data sources do not update well while dBase data sources do. Once the dBase directory is registered then any other dBase files stored there will automatically be data sources.
davidgrove

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much.
I'll give that a try.
deoravi22
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:31 pm    Post subject: writer files having data field not saving Reply with quote

while i inserted the data field in the writer file,after first mail merge those data fields are not available for next mail merge.

Even after saving the file all the data source fields removes and the fiel becomes a normal file.

For further mail merge i need to start from begining

can any one help..?
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deoravi22,

If you save to MS Word format merged fields will be converted to plain text because Word does not understand OOo fields.
tonywhelan
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:34 am    Post subject: A much better way to do label merges Reply with quote

OOO has a really frustrating and sometimes near-unusable mail merge feature. Registering a database is not an intuitive thing to do, and the sheer complexity of OOO mail merges (especially with labels) is enough to drive most people back to Microsoft.

OOO doesn't really handle merging labels readily, which is way the most common merge that I need. Fortunately there is a nice easy workaround for this which many OOO users may not know, and I'm putting it here for all to see as it took a lot of searching on the web to find this solution.

For document merges: see http://openoffice.ozlady.com/2007/10/15/mail-merge-without-the-address-block/
This is a much better mail-merge solution for Open Office than any I have seen.

and for label merges, see my adaptation of the above technique at http://tonywhelan.net/ooo_label_merge.pdf

Doing mail-merges (incl email merges) and label merges is so much simpler using the above methods.
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony,

I enjoyed learning an additional way to register a data source* but would note that you never need to use the Mail Merge Wizard. For printing (to paper or file) labels or any other mail merge document just open the document and:
Quote:
Click the Print icon
Answer 'yes' to the 'form letter' query
In the next dialog All records will print by default or you can select records with the gray boxes to their left.

Last time I looked selecting records to print is a real hassle with the Mail Merge Wizard.

* I create all my merge documents in a similar manner but instead of inserting fields from the database tab I open the F4 database viewer and drag and drop them wherever they should go. As you can also see from my 1st post I create labels on the Labels tab of that wizard instead of after clicking New Document. Each way has its advantages - your way, each line is a separate paragraph which means it's easy to insert a Hidden Paragraph field, if needed - my way, no need to insert a next record field but all lines will be 1 paragraph which you must "correct" if you need to insert the above field.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: