OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Need help with installing Aqua

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pliofilm

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:07 pm    Post subject: Need help with installing Aqua Reply with quote

I am using OSX 10.5.6, Power PC. I downloaded the file:

OOo_3.0.0rc4_MacOSXPowerPC_SDK_install_en-US.dmg (03-Oct-2008 11:59 11M)

From the Web address:
http://ooopackages.good-day.net/pub/OpenOffice.org/MacOSX/3.0.0rc4/

Once I downloaded it and dragged it into the Applications folder, there was no way to open the application. Is there an additional file I need to download? How do I know which one?

I am not a developer, just a user who is confused and spent a lot of time just getting this far. Can anyone help?

Also, I was under the impression that "Aqua" was the better choice for me because of the version of OSX I am running. (Yesterday I downloaded OOO 3.0.1 and tried using it alongside X11, but I was predictably also lost & confused... so I have since trashed that version of OOO and emptied my trash).

Thank you!

Diane
keme

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just downloaded a useful tool if you want to to build Open Office yourself. "SDK" (in the middle of the dmg filename) is short for Software Development Kit.

Unless you really want to "roll your own", you can safely delete that file (and the copy of its contents in your applications folder).
What you need is the file OOo_3.0.0rc4_MacOSXPowerPC_install.dmg, probably just below the SDK in the list (or one of the localized language versions further down).

Edit: One more thing: (The following may be known to you, but just to make sure...)
Your previous post indicates that you dragged the dmg-file to the applications folder. That will not work! The dmg is a "disk volume in a file", and when opened (by doubleclick or cmd+O) it will be "mounted" like any other storage device you connect to the computer. You can then copy the content inside that storage unit to your Applications folder.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: