OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Changing the size of bullets

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 2:28 pm    Post subject: Changing the size of bullets Reply with quote

Hi All,

My question is a simple one: Is it possible to change the size of bullets in a list? I don't mean by choosing a different bullet style in Numbering/Bullets -> Bullets, but actually changing them so that they match the size of my text. The small bullets style is way to small, and the large one is way too big. For example, I've tried selecting the text in the list and adjusting the font size - the text changes, but the bullets remain the same size. This looks odd with 72pt text! lol! I am sorry to bring up a comparison but that other notorious word-processor by Microsoft changed the bullet size automagically.

Has anyone any ideas for me to try other than inserting bullets manually with the symbol font?

FYI: Windows 2000 SP4, OOffice 1.1.1 Final.

Thanks if you can help, otherwise have a great day.
antonbijl
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim

The bullets have an attached character style and this character style is what determines the font size of the bullets. If you want the bullets to have the same size font as the text then you must specify a character style that doesn't include a specific font size.

Example:
1 - Right-click somewhere on your bullet list (with text = 72pt or whatever)
2 - Choose Numbering/Bullets
3 - Under the Options tab, set the character style to Emphasis
You'll now notice that the bullets take on the size of surrounding text (they might also appear italic, since this is the default)

Unfortunately I cannot tell you exactly how it might be possible to change an existing character style so that it no longer contains a specific font, this seems to be impossible in the stylist (if you right-click on Emphasis and Modify... you will notice under the Organizer tab under Contains... that no mention is made of a specific font size, whereas if you do the same with the Bullets character style you'll notice that it does refer to a specific font style and size. It seems once this is in there there isn't a way of removing it, even though you can change it.)

So the best thing you can do is probably to copy Emphasis or something similar and create your own. But be careful, once you change the font size of this style, it will 'remember' a specific font size and you'll once again have the same problem. You can then adjust your numbering style so that all your bullet lists will use this new character style as opposed to the default "Bullets".

HTH

Anton
antonbijl
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read that again and should mention this:
After changing the character style in your bullet list, the bullets will only change after you click OK (you will also see no difference in the preview)
Tim
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your input Anton.

This seems a rather contrived and complicated way of adjusting bullet sizes, I just hope that the developers come up with a better and more reliable method for it.

Thanks again.

Tim
ftack

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To add to antonbijl: you can remove the font definition in the character style by pressing the "standard" button while on the Font tab in the "Character style" dialog. The change will be visible on the "Organizer tab" (the summary of what's defined in the style) only when you exited the dialog and enter it again. (this must be a small issue which I'll file right away Wink )
ftack

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...actually, I realized that that is not really an issue. The settings of a style only are applied upon pressing OK, so consistently, you only see the settings of the style in the summary the next time you open the dialog. An "Apply" button would be nice.
antonbijl
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ftack, I agree. That isn't really an issue. Thanks for the 'standard' tip.

tim, actually I don't think any development work is needed here, but I agree that in the standard distribution the default should be more intuitive (i.e. the bullets character style should be font-size independent.) This however, is a simple matter of changing the default template as delivered with the standard distribution. My suggestion for now would be to incorporate this into your own default template so that you will only need to do it all once.
Tim
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: