OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Calculate using minutes and seconds

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pmccrackan
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 9:33 pm    Post subject: Calculate using minutes and seconds Reply with quote

Hi, I have looked through the help sections in oo but cannot really find any answers on how to calculate using minutes and seconds.
What I am doing is entering data into a calc file, part of the data is a timed event, entered in minutes and sceonds. I want to be able to calculate the sum time for these events and then further analise the data by working out cost per minute etc.
Any help will be much appreciated.
A thankyou in advance.
erikanderson3
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is relatively easy to do, if I understand your needs correctly. I just tried it out to my own satisfaction.

The key here is format. Select the cells you want to use for time input, and either select Format -> Cells, or right-click and choose Format Cells. In the dialog that comes up, choose the Numbers tab, and select Time in the Category list on the upper left. In the Format list, choose the one that best fits your needs, i.e. HH:MM:SS, MM:SS.OO, etc.

Then just type in the figures. Make sure you use time notation, i.e. 0:1:13 for one minute thirteen seconds, or 0:0:2 for two seconds, or the number format may revert to just plain Number.

So long as the operand cells are in Time format, and the cell where you enter the summing formula is also Time format, you should be able to do time arithmetic without any issues.

Cheers,

Erik
pmccrackan
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 10:53 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Yes, that did it for me. It was a little tricky getting the data pilot to show the answers correctly but once I worked out how to format the cells correctly it was ok. You cannot format the cells in a data pilot with a right click after selecting them, you have to go to the format menu and do it from there. Is that normal?
Anyway, thanks again. Laughing
8daysaweek.co.uk
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realize you have it sorted now, but here's a previous thread with a couple of tips on time calcs too...
http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4620&highlight=timesheet

BFN,
pmccrackan
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 1:23 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks 8daysaweek, theres a lot of useful info there.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

8daysaweek.co.uk wrote:
I realize you have it sorted now, but here's a previous thread with a couple of tips on time calcs too...
http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4620&highlight=timesheet

BFN,

OK, a dumb question: Where do I go to look up or find such past threads? [The mind goes second. I can't remember what goes first.] I.E. where is this "viewtopic" site access located?

Thanks.

David.
erikanderson3
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The viewtopic thingy is just a parameter used by the site's PHP engine. The search function is right on the top of every page, just after the Home and FAQ links. Click there and you've got the site search engine. Very useful for looking into any issues you might be having.

Cheers,

Erik
8daysaweek.co.uk
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David,

On the oooforum.org home page on the left hand side there is a search box with a go button underneath. Underneath that there is an "Advanced Search" link - following this allows you to search for terms used in posts generally or by a particular member.

The [Search] link at the top of most pages takes you to the same screen.

To find the thread above, I typed "timesheet" in the Search for Keywords: box, (you can see the search term as part of the link, and the word is highlighted if you follow the link) and my username in the Search for Author: box as I remembered I'd posted something about it before. To put the thread into another one as a link, just copy the URL from your address bar Smile

BFN,

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

8daysaweek.co.uk wrote:
Hi David,

On the oooforum.org home page on the left hand side there is a search box

Thanks, gentlemen.

David.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: