OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

oOo 1.1b : pdf export : images all art artifacted ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
l3

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 9:13 am    Post subject: oOo 1.1b : pdf export : images all art artifacted ? Reply with quote

Hi,

As soon as I heard oOo 1.1b had an "export to pdf" function I started to port all my technical docs to oOo format (from MS OXP)

I'm very impressed about the speed and intiutive interface. oOo just became my default for technical writing. Wink

problem: "print-" and even "press optimized" quality doesn't cut it at all. (apologies for the harsh term; but it does).

The images are all very heavily JPG artifacted. Why is that?

My source document contains all crisp lossless PNG images while the PDF file contains what seems 1:25 compressed JPEG images. (blocks, color runout, blur,...)

I'm not too handy in open source development, but how can I get a suggestion across to the/a developer of this PDF export module? :

"please allow the user to define the image/jpeg output quality (slider 0-99). is lossless PNG-like storage possible in PDF (or at least a 95-99% jpg unlike the current 10-20%)".

My PDF's are 2 to 3 times the size of the original document so I'd like the images to reflect that.

For the time being I'm exporting the PDFs with deteriorated JPG graphics to our internal staff only, but it'd be very nice to be able to generate "print quality" documents for our customers.

thanks for listening Very Happy
Curtz
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PDF export needs a few settings. It would be great if you could choose compression algorithm (ZIP in your case) and a few other things. Print quality and JPEG don't mix.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: