OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

OO 3.0.1 won't start

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
d0c0
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:36 am    Post subject: OO 3.0.1 won't start Reply with quote

Trying to run from the desktop icon gives this error message::

"This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem."

I've already re-installed it (after using Add/Remove to remove it).

The icon's properties show:
Target: "C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 3\program\soffice.exe"
Start in: "C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 3\Basis\program\"

Going directly to the directory and manually starting any of the exe's (soffice.exe et cetera) gives the same message.

This is a recently re-installed XP Pro SP2 machine with a 2.13GHz Intel CPU, 1G RAM and a Seagate 160GB HDD.

I'm going to re-download the installation file and try again, but I don't recall it complaining during the install.

------------------

Oooh, that's interesting... it isn't shown in Add/Remove list this time. Hmmmmm....

Well, okay. I'll delete the entire directory chain \Programs...\Open office...\ and try reinstalling.

Stay tuned, sports fans.
d0c0
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:08 am    Post subject: Fixed... Reply with quote

Okay – besides just deleting the \Program Files\Open..\ directories, I also deleted the user \Application Data\Open Office directories, and also ran Ccleaner and deleted all the registry references... it installed cleanly this time, and is running.

I apologize if this thread made you waste some time - I think better when I talk - or write - things out, and there is a bit of wisdom here, which is:

When you "remove" something, make sure it's REALLY gone. I have a feeling there were some left-over references to the first install which caused the (different) error messages in the second one.

Also... "third time's the charm."
robina
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updating OOo is sometimes a problem.
I got the same error message when I updated to 3.0.1 from 3.0 (both Novell Edition).
First I installed 3.0.1 over the previous version. The installation process did not report any error, but OOo did not open and the error message appeared.
I uninstalled "completely" and then reinstalled the 3.0.1 version, which is now working normally.
To uninstall "completely" I uninstalled from Revo Uninstaller, then deleted manually some files, then cleaned the Registry (I use Registry First Aid, which found 100+ OOo-related entries).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: