OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Measurement equipment database

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sokolasty

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:20 am    Post subject: Measurement equipment database Reply with quote

Hello all OO users. Sorry for a long post, but before starting to learn base I’d like to know, if:

Can oo base solve following problem:

I need to build a database for measurement equipment. There are five main goals.

1. Create a list of equipment. Every item needs to be periodically inspected (so it would be perfect to have auto-calculation basing on last inspection date + interval, but not essential). A reminder email with settable date (i. e. one month, five days before etc.) would be fine.

2. Inspection steps for each item need to be in database (but not in the main list). I need to put nominal values and tolerances there.
Example:
Slide caliper must be checked at 30,2; 57,5; 131,8mm. Tolerance for first steps ±0,02mm, for the third one is ±0,03.
I would like to have:
a) auto-calculation for minimum and maximum permissible indication, so for first step 30,18 to 30,22 etc.
b) auto-evaluation (pass or fail) of each step, which can be manually switched
c) building inspection procedures for similar equipment and automatic update of all related items valid for next inspection
d) there should be a way to auto-calculate steps, for example range is 0-200mm, steps are each 0,15mm: 0,15; 0,30; 0,45…200,10
e) automatic calculation of using user-picked inspection step results, example: deviations for five steps are +1, +2, 0 -2, -5. I wish to calcuate range - 7 in this case.
f) total evaluation of all inspection steps

3. Inspection records like measured data, date, temperature, master samples ID for each item inside the database. Calculation of measurement uncertainty (which is a function of temperature and user-defined factor)

4. Printing certificates including data from point 4.

5. Export all data to txt file.

Current solution for all of it is OO calc, but this requires hundreds of files: one file for total list and separate files for history of each gage.
r4zoli
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thought, it can be done, but not only Base and inside it SQL programming needs to learn, but lot of programming in StarBasic.

Quote:
Create a list of equipment.

You can import your data from spreadsheet, easy work, and can be done later using reporting.

Quote:
Every item needs to be periodically inspected (so it would be perfect to have auto-calculation basing on last inspection date + interval, but not essential).

Can be done.
Quote:
A reminder email with settable date

Can be programmed in StarBasic.

2. If you want automation, needs programming(SQL and Basic).

3. Can be done., calculation - programming (SQL or Basic).

4. Can be done, using forms or reports.

5. Can be done.
MSPhobe
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are currently doing it, at least to some degree of satisfaction, in ooCalc, I'd be very surprised if moving the job to ooBase would be anything other than progress.

Can you getl ooBase "do everything" you're wishing for within the first week? Probably not... but it should take care of some of the chores you must be doing to make ooCalc get the job (sort of) done.

And if it all goes terribly wrong, you can export your data back to your ooCalc solution.

Go for it!
brian4m
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject: auto-calculation based on last inspection date + interval Reply with quote

I can help with the first part - “it would be perfect to have auto-calculation basing on last inspection date + interval”.

There is a function in Base called DateAdd which allows the addition of days, weeks, months, years etc to a date.
See http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=78000&sid=1677008b3769f1be6f72c8523c9a0a31
Where I posted an example of code that worked.

There is also an example database with the solution.

Brian
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: