OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

mobiity of writer docs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ramack
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:17 pm    Post subject: mobiity of writer docs Reply with quote

I have an OpenSUSE laptop at work and a Debian laptop at home. I want to be able to work at both places and save the work on a thumb drive. I've been doing most of my work on the Debian box, but if I take it to work and load the document on the OpenSUSE box, the layout has changed enough that the figures, tables, etc are shifted slightly. If I adjust the layout, then it is shifted again when I open it on the Debian box. I would expect this if I was going between Windows and Linux, but even when I'm not crossing platforms?

What do I need to do to keep my formatting between Linux boxes?

Rich
keme

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can never be certain unless you have the exact same setup in both places. Still, there are things to do:
  • Install the same version of OpenOffice.org on both computers.
    (Make sure it's the same edition, or "build", not just the same "generation" of 2.4.1, 3.0.0., etc. The versions bundled with your OS' are Novell and Debian builds, respectively. They both differ slightly from the official OOo build.)
  • Do not base formatting on printer metrics. Tools - Options - OpenOffice.org Writer - Compatibility
  • Ensure that fonts used are installed on both systems. (Otherwise the software will substitute with a similar font, which may have other metrics and alter your layout.)
ramack
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input! I know I've already checked the first and third items. I'll double check the printer metrics.

Rich
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: