OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Installation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greensman3

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:14 pm    Post subject: Installation Reply with quote

I am totally new to OO.org and am wondering if it is at all possible to install on a USB flash drive and run on my laptop? I ask this question because I have a small hard drive.

Or is it necessary to have to install completely on OS?
hol.sten
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Installation Reply with quote

Greensman3 wrote:
I am totally new to OO.org and am wondering if it is at all possible to install on a USB flash drive and run on my laptop?

At least the OOo version of portable apps is: http://portableapps.com/apps/office/openoffice_portable
pit234a
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats hard to tell.
OOo is hughe, but there you got a lot of files. This Files normaly have their place within your System and you can hardly put them out and replace them by links, because it would be to much.
But, in my System, 400 to 500 MB (depending on the Version) ist just settled in /usr/local/openoffice.org-OOOVERSION and that should be able to just kick to a stick and replace it by a link. You have to be carefull, not to do any autostart of OOo without the stick beeing mounted.
Depending on your System, you should have such an installation Place too, sometimes is /var.. or /opt...
Maybe even better: put the whole installation on your stick and use the installed harddrive for data.
You easy can install what is called KNOPPIX on a single one GB Stick and there you have a complete Operating System (GNU/Linux) with desktop Environment (KDE) and lots of Applikations and even OOo (not the newest Version however). KANOTIX ist something in the same way.
With adding a few more GB, lets say, with a stick of 4GB, you easy handle a full install of nearly any desired Operating System with a bunch of applikations. There you could choose and take updates when you want. KNOPPIX is a one time shot, but small and good and easy!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: