OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Export to Pdf Not Working - Blank Pages

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
onguarde
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:20 am    Post subject: Export to Pdf Not Working - Blank Pages Reply with quote

Peace all!

I've been having this problem about some time now. Any export to pdf produces a pdf with the correct number of pages but they are all blank! Tried fiddling with the options to no avail. Also tried setting the options to use openoffice dialogs.

In an attempt to try to find some log of errors, I started writer from the console with soffice -writer and used the export pdf function but no errors are spitted out. I'm stumped...

Version 3.0.1 archlinux

Thanks in advance!
David
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windows has great free 3rd party PDF creators like PRIMO. If Linux has such an option you might try that first?

David.
JJJoseph
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
Windows has great free 3rd party PDF creators like PRIMO. If Linux has such an option you might try that first?

David.

I used to have this problem with Writer, and the OO techs who work on the back end knew about the problem but were stumped because OO pdf module was written in such a way as to not return an error code. Eventually the problem was solved, and we're now at Writer 3.0.1. I'm surprised that you still have the problem. Are you using an older release of OO?
pit234a
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe you can just "print as file", getting you a .ps file and than use ghostview and create a pdf from there, or easy use evince or ps2pdf, maybe pdfedit.
That of course can only work, if OOo generates .ps -files correct.
I used to work that way, long time before OOo integrated that pdf-creator.
David
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pit234a wrote:
I used to work that way, long time before OOo integrated that pdf-creator.

I used to work with DOS line commands, and printer dip-switch settings. Thank the good Lord I don't need to do that any more [but still can if the need arises]. It is this lack of direct applications that has stopped me all along from going the Linux route, no matter the lack of cost; just too old now to do everything from scratch. Windows has a lot bad to be said for it, but a lot good as well. PRIMO works amazingly well, directly. There is a roundabout route using Print to File, but that should be necessary only when transferring to another computer about which you know nothing as to the type of printer attachment. Just to practice, I did a Print to File using PRIMO as the choice of "printer", creating the PRN file, then used a wonderful little free app that uses drag and drop to print the PRN file directly to the PDF document. Not necessary, but fun playing around. The main problem there was that the PRN file is about double the size of the resulting PDF.

Thanks for the old memories. My next move will be to Apple in the near future. More fun and games.

David.
onguarde
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on a hunch, I decided to delete my old profile and start afresh. Besides, i've been using the same profile since OO version 2.

Lo and behold, it works!

Not sure what setting is it that I messed up but this surely attests to the fact that if you can't find people clamouring about the same issue, it's probably your fault.
onguarde
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to do a diff between the default options in a newly generated config and my old one. And resetting most of my old ones to the default. Alas, still got blank pages... Maybe a corrupted config or sth.

Guess I'll just start over..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: