OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

continuos page numbering through different sections[SOLVED?]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aimar
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:21 am    Post subject: continuos page numbering through different sections[SOLVED?] Reply with quote

Hi,
I have inserted different sections (they are different files) into a file (as a master document)
The problem is that I am not able to get a continuos page numbering through all the "master" file. The page number starts counting from 1 each time a new section starts.
Thank you.

Last edited by aimar on Fri May 22, 2009 8:24 am; edited 1 time in total
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is hard to do with the limited information provided but I'll give it a shot.

Say each section is a chapter and you use the Heading 1 paragraph style for your chapter titles. Do F11 to open the Stylist, right click Heading 1, select Modify, click the Text Flow tab and look at the Breaks section. If both check boxes are checked and the page number is set to 1 then change it to zero.
aimar
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I insert different files in which and you are right, I use Heading 1 for each title. I had both check boxes unchecked in the heading 1 Paragraph Style type.
I checked both and leva the number as 0, but now I had a blank page before each "chapter" and the page numbering keeps startinf from 1 in each section (now in each blank page).
BillP
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you have some direct formatting in the individual headings which is causing the numbering to restart. Open the individual chapter files, select the heading, and press CTRL+M or select Format > Default Formatting to remove the direct formatting. Save the files and reopen the master document to see if the page numbering is continuous.
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillP,

That's an interest thought but I don't think it's the problem because the Heading 1 paragraph style in the Master Doc overrides that of any sub-document.

Not being real sure about this I created a one page Chapter 1 and Chapter 2 an used direct formatting in 2 to start at page 1. The numbering in the MD is continuous.

If aimar, in fact, edited the Heading 1 style in the Master Document to start page numbering at zero then something else is going on. I have no idea what.
aimar
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John V, I didn't understand what you mean when said that used direct formatting in Chapter 2 to start at page 1. Are these chapters, files inserted as sections?

Anyway, I didn't edit anything in the Master Document. I edited the text and styles (heading 1, and so on) in each individual file.

I had save two files with some text without modifying any style, and inserted in a new file. The numbering is continuous. Correct. So why I am not able to do it with the other files. Do I have to write all without styles and apply them in the Master Document?

I wanted to have the master document to gather all the chapters of my PhD, and number it continuous and make a table of contents automatically, but editing only each separated file because they are quite big.

Thank you for your help
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aimar,

Rule number 1 in using a Master Document is the all styles in the MD will override the same styles in inserted documents.

Go the the MD and edit is Heading 1 style and see if that fixes your problem.
aimar
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thaks a lot John V. If fact, I had protected all the inserted sections in the main file, so could not change anything, but the header and footer.

But I have started again writing the text in new files and inserting them in a main one, step by step. At first only text, then modifying the styles in the initial files, then giving headers an footers, and so on and have no problem. It works. Don't know where was my mistake.

Thank you anyway.
BillP
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnV,
JohnV wrote:
BillP,

That's an interest thought but I don't think it's the problem because the Heading 1 paragraph style in the Master Doc overrides that of any sub-document.

The Heading 1 paragraph style in the Master Doc will override the Heading 1 paragraph style in the sub-document, but I don't think it will override the direct formatting.

JohnV wrote:
Not being real sure about this I created a one page Chapter 1 and Chapter 2 an used direct formatting in 2 to start at page 1. The numbering in the MD is continuous.

I did the same thing, but the page numbering in my master document restarted at page 1 in each chapter.

aimar,
If you would upload one of your original problem files to http://www.mediafire.com/, and post a link here, someone could probably spot the problem quickly.
aimar
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, for not answering. Quite busy.
I am having troubles while uploading to mediafire. Actually the upload process doesn't start.
I will upload somewhere ASAP to let you check them.
aimar
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillP,

You are correct, numbering is not continuous.

I thought I posted this back on May 22.
aimar
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:12 am    Post subject: continuous page number Reply with quote

sorry again for being late
couldn't upload the file to mediafire. I did in rapidshare
This is the link

http://rapidshare.com/files/240368907/numbering.html
MD5: E9E32288FD968BFC6BEC9580E073842B

I told you that I started again, step by step, with new files, and this time had not that problem. Perhaps the new files could help to find the difference.

Thank you
BillP
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see the problem. There is a page break before the first empty paragraph of each document with page number specified to restart at "1". Unfortunately, I assumed that the heading would be the first paragraph when I said to remove the direct formatting from the heading. I should have said to remove the direct formatting from the first paragraph.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: