OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

master document page numbering?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rtlyons

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 9:57 pm    Post subject: master document page numbering? Reply with quote

ive read tutorials on page numbering in both regular documents and the master document and while i have no problem when doing them in a regular document, the master one works funky

basically the page number resets to one with each file.
What im doing is writing a book, with each chapter being the subdocument.
Can someone clearly tell me what I have to do to make the master document have the proper page numbers throughout its entirety? I mean it seems silly to me that by default it does not do this. Why would anyone ever want each subdocument to have its own numbering? It just doesn't make sense...
floris_v

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello. Do you have separate page numbering in the sub documents? If so, turn that off.
Re restart numbering: it's done a lot in technical manuals, where pages are numbered per chapter.
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We did this one not long ago and I believe there are two possibilities.

1) The paragraph style you are using for chapter titles in the master document:
Open the master document, press F11, right click this paragraph style > Modify > Text Flow tab. Look in the Breaks section and if the Page Number is set to 1 then set it to 0.

Hopefully this will fix the problem but, if not, try the next one.

2) You have applied direct formatting to the chapter title paragraph style in the sub documents:
Open each sub document, place the cursor in the first paragraph, do Format > Paragraph > Text Flow tab and set the Page Number to 0 as above.

Hey BillP did I get this right?
rtlyons

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in both cases the 'page number' under breaks is grayed out, should 'breaks' be insterted into the subchapters?
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
in both cases the 'page number' under breaks is grayed out, should 'breaks' be insterted into the subchapters?
In the Master Document open the Stylist (F11), the paragraph style for your chapter titles should have both boxes checked and the Page Number should be 0. In the subdocuments just use the paragraph style and don't modify anything in the Stylist or, more importantly, at Format > Paragraph.

Why:
1) Rule - The paragraph style definition in the Master Document overrides the definition in the subdocument.
2) Exception to rule - Direct formatting (Format > Paragraph) of the paragraph style is not overriden.
BillP
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rtlyons wrote:

No, that's probably what's causing the page numbering to restart--JohnV's second possibility. To check for an existing page break in a subdocument, open the subdocument then press CTRL-HOME. Now you can select Format > Paragraph > Text Flow to check for the page break. If there is a page break there, it should be removed.

Is your heading at the top of the subdocument, or did you press ENTER to create space above the heading? If there are empty paragraphs above the heading, they should be removed. Space can be added above the heading by modifying the heading's paragraph style.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: