OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Migration v2.4 to 3.1 - macros

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Pike
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:28 am    Post subject: Migration v2.4 to 3.1 - macros Reply with quote

I have recently upgraded my local system from 2.4.1 to 3.1.0. I mainly use Base for some personal databases using the built in HSQL db. Having read the detailed instructions about moving macros into the document itself, I am still confused about the result.

I have some macros stored in My Macros -> Standard -> Module1. After running the migration wizard, those macros are still there and still seem to work OK. The wizard seems to have added <dbname>.odb -> Form_<formname>_Standard -> Standard -> Module1 as well as <dbname> -> Standard (no module)

The new Modules contain code that appears to be new and doesn't even compile, while my original macros are still where they used to be (and still work as far as I have tested to date).

The above is a description of how it appears when viewed in the "OpenOffice.org Basic Macros" dialog. My question is, have I successfully migrated the macros and can I modify them further and move on, or do I need to manually move them all into the relevant database document and if so, how?

Many thanks in advance for any guidance, I am trying to get to the new version without losing any functionality. Is there a document that I haven't found yet, that will guide me through this?
RPG
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

It seemes to me that all things are good for you. The long names are libraries. and the libraries are organized in the way of your forms. Also the event are adjust.
For security reason it is good to make a backup before your migration
Quote:
The new Modules contain code that appears to be new and doesn't even compile, while my original macros are still where they used to be (and still work as far as I have tested to date)
The code can maybe changed a little. But the code look me not on two places as your post is saying. There is only one copy.

Quote:
or do I need to manually move them all into the relevant database document and if so, how?
The macro's are now on a new place. And I think don't change the new place. I even not know if you can change it. It seemes that the form document cannot contain more macros. You can always move the macro's to "My Macros" It seemes to me with the new place you can use the macro more easy for more forms. And I think that is the reason they change the place. I don't understand all things on this moment there I changed three days ago to 3.1.

And for your information:I have migrate some database to 3.1 without problems. But I did make copies from all files

Romke
r4zoli
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Base/New_features_in_3_1#Macros_in_database_documents
Mike Pike
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help. I did read that document a few months ago when it was published, with a view to updating when 3.1 was released. But having done the upgrade, I forgot where I had read it. Many thanks for the link! Having readi it again after the event, I think I slightly misunderstood what the "migrate macros" wizard does.

It does say that the macros as a goal should be moved into the db document and this cannot be done automatically. It seems that the only thing the migrate macros wizard does is to move any macros from the sub-documents (forms and reports) into the database document (and, as RPG has explained, puts them in a separate library for each sub-document).

I did backup the odb files but "My Macros" are not in there are they? I forgot to back up the macros but these are unaffected and it is up to me to move them into the database document if I want to. That's fine - I've got it now! Also, I've now copied the contents of all the macros into text files for safe keeping.

The "new" macros in the Form libraries may have been created by me some time ago as an experiment that I had forgotten about. They are not significant to the application so no problem there either!

I'll develop new macros in the database document and gradually look into moving the old ones over one at a time, changing the event assignments etc. I'm very eager to read any other issues that may come up with migrating or moving macros.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: