OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

1&1 / MySQL / ooBase

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MSPhobe
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject: 1&1 / MySQL / ooBase Reply with quote

Has anyone "played with" connecting to a MySQL database held on a site hosted by 1&1, using ooBase as a front end?

Anyone willing to see if they can accomplish it?

I have a MySQL database on....

$server= "db1908.perfora.net"; /* Address of 1&1 database server */
$user= "dbo289102196"; /* Database user name */
$password= "1234567"; /* Database Password */
$database= "db289102196"; /* name of database */
$table= "Officers"; /* Name of table */

... that I'd love to access, across the net, with ooBase....

Thanks

( /* PHP code to access it.... */
MYSQL_CONNECT($server, $user, $password);
)
hol.sten
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1&1 / MySQL / ooBase Reply with quote

MSPhobe wrote:
Has anyone "played with" connecting to a MySQL database held on a site hosted by 1&1, using ooBase as a front end?

I once had a discussion (in German) with someone who tried to get access to a MySQL database on a Strato server: http://de.openoffice.info/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=22088. But to no avail. Strato is preventing this.

MSPhobe wrote:
Anyone willing to see if they can accomplish it?

I didn't gave a try to your MySQL database, because it does not look promising: http://hilfe-center.1und1.de/server/root_server/daemons/7.html?searchpos=9. As you can read there (in German), even for a root server remote access is disabled as default. Do you have a root server or a perhaps even more restricted home page?

As I wrote, I didn't gave your account a try, so it might work. But that is unlikely. I'm willing to give it a try if you can confirm that you have a root server which you did enable for remote access.
MSPhobe
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AH! No!... I should have explained that....

I don't think I have a root server. I only have a fairly basic "Home Hosting Package, Linux".

I did see some things in the 1&1 FAQs which to my untutored eye looked like "you can't"... but then I did manage to do some things that I wasn't "supposed" to be able to do, so I was hoping I was wrong about the ooBase access thing, too.

Come on people.... we're not going to let this "beat" us, are we? There's ALWAYS some way to do something???
hol.sten
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MSPhobe wrote:
I only have a fairly basic "Home Hosting Package, Linux".

What's this? I cannot find anything named like that on the 1&1 home page.

MSPhobe wrote:
There's ALWAYS some way to do something???

But only if you enable remote access.
MSPhobe
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
MSPhobe wrote:
I only have a fairly basic "Home Hosting Package, Linux".

What's this? I cannot find anything named like that on the 1&1 home page.

Tell me about it! I LIKE 1&1 for various reasons... but their multiplicity of packages under many and various names is a nuisance.

I have a pretty basic shared virtual server home user account, minimal frills... but it is Linux based, and does let me have some MySQL databases and php. (I've got as far creating a web page that fetches some records from a database I set up and populated with data via my browser, via the 1&1 control panel.)

http://sheepdogguides.com/myfirstsqlquery.htm

Further to confusing package names: On my account management screen I'm told that I have the "Home Hosting Package" or somesuch. The nice, helpful, 24/7 tech support phone line told me that I could tell(!) from that that I had a Linux package 'cause the MS packages have "MS" in the name. Sigh.
hol.sten
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MSPhobe wrote:
I have a pretty basic shared virtual server home user account, minimal frills... but it is Linux based

So it seems you should have access to your 1&1 account via SSH. Did you try that already? The 1&1 help center explains how to get access via SSH: http://hilfe-center.1und1.de/hosting/technik/ssh/4.html?searchpos=1. They also explain how to get your SSH login: http://hilfe-center.1und1.de/hosting/technik/ssh/2.html?searchpos=3. Give it a try via SSH, look for the MySQL config file "/etc/my.cnf", open it with vi, disable the bind-address, and restart MySQL by executing "/etc/init.d/mysql restart". It's all from the link I've already posted above (http://hilfe-center.1und1.de/server/root_server/daemons/7.html?searchpos=9). If you can do this, you might be able to access your 1&1 MySQL database from OOo Base. Let me know if it works.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: