OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Import PDF

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Draw
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eingram
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:49 am    Post subject: Import PDF Reply with quote

I constantly use draw to import pages and then export as PDF.

This works great!

However I installed the extension to import pdf's, but am too stupid to get it to work.
I have tried open file, edit plug in, insert file, document converter wizard, insert object-
plug in. Nothing works

Insert object comes the closest. What it inserts is blank, but at least it inserts something.
james_h
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:21 am    Post subject: OOo 2 Extensions - Restart program to activate extension. Reply with quote

http://www.oooninja.com/2008/06/pdf-import-hybrid-odf-pdfs-extension-30.html
Quote:
importing a PDF is as simple as clicking on File and then Open. The import process takes a long time compared to opening an OpenOffice.org document because of the necessary guesswork caused by the limitations of PDF.
When you install any new extension, you need to quit all instances of the OpenOffice.org program, and restart it. If your system uses an OpenOffice.org Quickstarter icon in the toolbar, you need to exit the Quickstarter by right clicking the icon, and quitting the Quickstart program. You can also try shutting down then restarting your system.

Also check that the Extension is the most recent version that works with your operating platform. Check the list at http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/project/pdfimport.
eingram
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just opening a pdf file in draw worked like a charm.
Only one problem-- black and white are reversed.
The original PDF is black text on white background.
The one opened in draw is white text on black background.
I couldn't find a "negative" image command or icon.
martincg

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have installed the PDF import extension, but have no clue how to use it.
How do I import a pdf into Draw? Or into anything?
The extension Manager shows that I have installed the extension OK, but I cannot see any option to import a pdf. I have obviously misunderstood something.
eingram
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martincg wrote:
I have installed the PDF import extension, but have no clue how to use it.
How do I import a pdf into Draw? Or into anything?
The extension Manager shows that I have installed the extension OK, but I cannot see any option to import a pdf. I have obviously misunderstood something.

Resd the above posts and you will find the answer to the question (which I asked earlier)
martincg

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you eingram. I did see that it was as simple as opening a file but I thought that meant it was that simple by comparison, not that File and Open was what you had to do.
I was expecting to find
Either
another pdf icon - there is one for export so why not for import? Or why not an option when you click the pdf icon to export or import?
OR
some option to import a pdf file. I couldn't find one despite the fact that the extension is described as "The PDF Import Extension". So why can't we import with it?

I am a very disappointed in the capabilities though. For example, I needed to move some letters to be able to delete lines which were originally underlining the letters but after the import were shifted out of place under the letters and couldn't be selected. I was unable to replace the letters where they were after moving them out of the way.
I can see that for some requirements this extension might be useful but overall I think you can do much better by getting the text from a pdf and using the OO pdf extension just to get the pictures, like this

1) Open Open Office Writer
2) Open the pdf you wan to copy, press Ctrl A to select all and with the mouse over a selected area right click and choose copy. Go to Writer and right click over a blank page and choose paste. Now you have all the text. You might be able to get some images this way but if not this is where the OO pdf import extension is good.
3) Close the pdf in Acrobat Reader.
4)In Writer choose File|Open and open the pdf.
5) now in Draw, where the imported pdf is shown, click on an image to select it, right click over it and choose copy, then paste it where it should be in Writer.

That way you get a document which can be properly edited.
davisreed

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello.
I read your problem..you can try the online import and export the pdf format. and also try different software to using import and export the PDF.
So please try this suggestion thanks
Shammat
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to use the Oracle PDF Importer (from here: http://code.google.com/a/apache-extras.org/p/aoo-pdf-import/) together with OpenOffice 4.0.1 but each time I use "File -> Open" in Draw I wind up with the PDF file "opened" as a text file in Writer.

What am I missing here?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Draw All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: