OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

smart quotes and apostrophes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marty

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 8:36 am    Post subject: smart quotes and apostrophes Reply with quote

I would like to change the old straight quotation marks and apostrophes in an already existing (large) document to smart or curly ones. I can manually delete and replace each straight quote and type in a smart one. But I cannot get the "search and replace" function to do it globally because it refuses to let me cut and paste the smart quotes into the replace box. When I type quote marks into the box they are straight.

In addition, I cannot get a smart or curly apostrophe at all. I am using Times font, and there does not seem to be any smart apostrophe in its special characters choices, either. On the other hand, the "search and replace" function gives a smart apostrophe, but it will not let me cut and paste a straight one in for it to search and replace.

Is there some way to do these two things other than to convert the sxw file to a doc file, transfer it to a pc, make the changes, and then import it back to my eMac and convert it to OOo again?

Thanks for your help.
Marty
Gabor
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First check what the situation is in AutoCorrect.
Click Tools>AutoCorrect>Custom Quotes.
There should be tick marks for Replace under both Single quotes and Double quotes.
You must click all four gray buttons with quotes and select the ones to your taste or locale then click OK.

In the Search and in the Replace boxes you can directly type only straight quotes (either single or double).
The workaround comes from the use of Alt key: hold down left Alt key + hit four-digit number on Numeric pad (while holding down Alt key!) THEN release Alt key.

The results will be curly.

Alt+0132 (starting, down)
Alt+0147 (starting)
Alt+0148 (ending)
Alt+0145 (starting)
Alt+0146 (ending)

HTH

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Gabor. The AutoCorrect>Custom Quotes changes worked perfectly. Now when I type new text the quotations marks and apostrophes are exactly as I want them.

However, I have not been able to get the Find and Replace to function. When I try holding down the Alt Key and typing in the Numeric pad the results are not what I was hoping for. For example, once the apostrophes were all replaced with 0146. Then when I tried to replace the 0146 with a curly apostrophe it just went back to the old straight one. Incidently, when I type a single quote into the Find or into the replace box, it LOOKS curly, but it ACTS straight, and puts a straight one into the text.

I have a mac keyboard, if that makes any difference.

However, all is not lost because I can now make the needed changes one by one, by deleting the straight one and typing in the correct, curly one. It is not elegant, and doesn't save time, but it does get the job done.

Marty
esperantisto
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't understand the problem. Why not copy the necessary character to the clipboard before invoking the replace dialog and then paste it to the replace field? With Windows, it works just fine. Maybe, Mac merely sucks Smile

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, esperanto, my problem is that I can't paste anything into the find or replace boxes. So no matter what I type, I get the straight apostrophe in the find box (which is good) but there is no way to paste a curly apostrophe into the replace box. It works fine on my old mac using microsoft word for mac. It just doesn't work in OOo on my new mac. Does it work in OOo for you?

The other peculiar thing is that the apostrophe in either the find or replace boxes LOOKS curly, no matter what I type, but it always prints to the screen as a straight apostrophe. Weird.

Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Marty
esperantisto
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, no suggestions. With OOo on WinXP, I do just what I suggested: copy/paste into find or replace field (and with different quotation marks and curly apostrophes it's just fine). Alternatively, I use Alt+<character code> combinations (for example, Alt+0171 gives ). It looks, there are some particularities about Mac - and I can't advise anything for this.
maxyvits

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Thanks, Gabor. The AutoCorrect>Custom Quotes changes worked perfectly. Now when I type new text the quotations marks and apostrophes are exactly as I want them.

Actually, I can't get Writer to do this. I'm experiencing something weird. Even though the curly quotes are enabled (default), Writer inserts straight quotation marks. This happens when I use a .doc or OOo's chosen format. Please help.
Tommy27
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@gabor

thank you. I had troubles with apostrophes and I solved my issues reading your post
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: