OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Please Please - Scan column put information in new column

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jgohearn

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:00 am    Post subject: Please Please - Scan column put information in new column Reply with quote

I am very new to openoffice and any help would be greatly appreciated. I think my question is fairly simple, but looking for a solution I got more confused. Right now I have a bunch of information in openoffice calc. In the first column (A) I have a bunch of race titles. example:

Catie Bug for a Cure 5K
32nd Annual Labor Day Run & Kids' Triathlon
Venetian Festival/Jeff Drenth Memorial 10K
Boston Scientific Heart of Summer

I want to be able to scan the whole document and search for any one of these words(triathlon, tri, duathlon) and if it comes across one of those words in column A, I need it to put the capital letter 'T' in the same row of column 'I' If it doesn't find any of the words in a row, just do nothing and skip to the next.

Trying to find the answer in my earlier search had me importing the information to openoffice base, but that just confused me more.

I would really appreciate any help.
Thank You,
John O
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming your first enter is in A1 then in l1 use
=IF(ISNUMBER(FIND("tri";A1));"T";IF(ISNUMBER(FIND("Triathlon";A1));"T";IF(ISNUMBER(FIND("duathlon";A1));"T";"")))

Then drag l1 down the column.

Note that the find text like "tri" is case sensitive. Note also that "tri" would be found it "triple" so you may want to use " tri " to limit to whole words.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: