OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

drag and drop

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
houndhen
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:18 am    Post subject: drag and drop Reply with quote

Using OO Calc in 3.1.0 in Linux.

Help about copying using drag and drop says, [quote]There are many options for moving or copying objects using drag-and-drop. Text sections, drawing objects, graphics, form controls, hyperlinks, cell ranges, and many more can be moved or copied with the mouse.
Note that the mouse pointer displays a plus sign when copying and an arrow when creating a link or hyperlink.
Mouse Pointer
Description

Moving

Copying

Creating a link

If you press Ctrl or Shift+Ctrl while releasing the mouse button, you can control whether the object is copied, moved, or a link is created.[/quote]

It doesn't actually tell you how to drag and drop. If I want to move or copy a cell I should be able to highlight the cell and drag it by the outline to where I want it. All I get is more cells highlighted. I know if must be simple but I haven't been able to figure it out.

I know that OO Calc is not Excel but in Excel if you want to copy then you hold down the CTRL key while moving. If you want to move you just grab the selected area outline and go with it.

The quote thingy doesn't seem to work.
OO 3.1.0
ftack

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand you figured it out how to copy/move a highlighted range of cells. Your problem is when doing a single cell. Calc will create a selection when clicking a cell then dragging. Only highlighted contiguous selections can be moved/copied by dragging. Also to move a single cell, it must be highlighted. You can highlight a cell either by dragging to a neighboring cell, then dragging back, or clicking the cell then clicking again with either Shift or Ctrl pressed down. Ctrl+Shift will create an absolute reference to the original cells rather than copying their literal content.
houndhen
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I want to do is really simple. I want to copy one cell contents into the cell below or a single cell anywhere. For the life of me I can't get it to work. Too long in Excel I guess.

I click the cell then click the cell again while holding down the CTRL key.... and then what? If I drag with the mouse then I just expand my selection.
OO 3.1.0
keme

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

houndhen wrote:
What I want to do is really simple. I want to copy one cell contents into the cell below or a single cell anywhere. For the life of me I can't get it to work. Too long in Excel I guess.

I click the cell then click the cell again while holding down the CTRL key.... and then what? If I drag with the mouse then I just expand my selection.
Don't ctrl+click-and-hold. When you hold the ctrl key, then click and release, you should see that the cell gets a light blue background (or some other colour) to mark it as selected. Then you can click-and-hold to drag the cell.
houndhen
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote]Don't ctrl+click-and-hold. When you hold the ctrl key, then click and release, you should see that the cell gets a light blue background (or some other colour) to mark it as selected. Then you can click-and-hold to drag the cell.[/quote]

OK. I have got that and it works but it moves the cell contents. How do I copy the cell contents. If I do CTRL+Shift then the selection expands.

I finally got it. I have to hit the CTRL key when I release the mouse button to copy the contents.

There was a key combination in Excel that would copy the cell contents above the selected cell. All you had to do is hit CTRL+' and it was done. Wish Calc had something like that.

Do I not know how to use the quote or does it not work?
OO 3.1.0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: