OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Space round Formula

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ed

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 3:05 pm    Post subject: Space round Formula Reply with quote

I'm not sure if this should really be here or in the Math forum, but here is the question anyway:

Every time I insert a formula in 1.1Beta writer, it appears with a 0.2cm gap round it. I would prefer it to appear with no gaps, so that I can insert spaces round it as required.

I managed to change the border to 0 using the stylist, but every time I create a new document, the spacing reverts to the original values. I have deleted the previous version of OOo from my computer, so can't check, but I'm sure this problem was not present before.
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried saving your preferred spacing to a template that you can use for any new doc that will contain a formula? If not, then make the changes in the Stylist and when your happy do Ctrl+A followed by Delete, then save as a template.

When the template is opened again your spacing should be as it was saved.

JohnV
Ed

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, I guess I could do that, but why should I have to?

When I set the borders to 0, and set the changes as default, shouldn't they remain fixed in all the documents I create, not just that one. I guess this is a bug in 1.1Beta, and hope it is corrected in the final version.
The Liquidator
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ed

John is right.

It's not a bug, it's simply the way that OOo operates. Just as if you want to radically change the way every new document appears in MSW by changing the file "normal.dot", so you have to do the same thing in OOo. If you don't changes will affect the open document only.

The trick is to prepare a document with every conceivable style you are likely to use in it (Margins, paper size, gaps (or lack of) before or after formulae etc. Do it with a bit of text etc to represent each style.

When you are happy all is correct simply highlight everything you have typed and hit "delete". Styles will be retained. Save the document in OOo template format and put it in your user\template directory with a recognisable name (I call mine blank document)..

Then select file\templates\organise. In the resulting dialog box click "default" and your new template will be shown. Right click on the icon and select "use as default".

Done! Every time you select "new\text document" or just launch OOo writer from scratch, the resulting "untitled" document will be based upon that template, so all styles you have created will be shown in the styles box on the left hand side.

That's the general principle. However, I'm not an expert on formulae, but if John says saving the spacing will be saved in a template (possibly by creating a new style?) then I'm sure it will.

Ian
Ed

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This does work, but I'm sure in previous versions the changes could be saved more easily, then applied to all documents. As a maths student I use formulas a lot, and can't remember ever having this problem before I upgraded to 1.1Beta.
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian,

I appreciate the confidence in me you displayed. However, I normally try what I recommend and this time I hadn't. Embarassed

Sure am glad it worked!!!

And from your post I learned about Word's Normal.dot so thanks again. I don't use Word but have it on my machine due to wife's labor as a teacher where it is used. Perhaps more references should be made to Normal.dot when talking about a personal default template as I feel many users have no concept of it's flexibility and benefits.

JohnV
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: