OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Substitute for INDIRECT/LOOKUP?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SharkD
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:33 am    Post subject: Substitute for INDIRECT/LOOKUP? Reply with quote

I'm using several formulas similar to the following:

Code:
INDIRECT("Sheet1.$B"&$X4&":$B"&$Y4)

I'm using them inside LOOKUP functions. For instance:

Code:
LOOKUP($J4;INDIRECT("Sheet1.$B"&$X4&":$B"&$Y4);INDIRECT("Sheet1.$C"&$X4&":$C"&$Y4))

The problem is that things get messed up if I rename the sheet or if I move columns. Is there a better alternative?

Thanks!

-Mike
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Substitute for INDIRECT/LOOKUP? Reply with quote

SharkD wrote:
I'm using several formulas similar to the following:

Code:
INDIRECT("Sheet1.$B"&$X4&":$B"&$Y4)

I'm using them inside LOOKUP functions. For instance:

Code:
LOOKUP($J4;INDIRECT("Sheet1.$B"&$X4&":$B"&$Y4);INDIRECT("Sheet1.$C"&$X4&":$C"&$Y4))

The problem is that things get messed up if I rename the sheet or if I move columns. Is there a better alternative?

Thanks!

-Mike

Can you tell us what you are trying to achieve in substantive terms?
keme

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

=INDIRECT("Sheet1.$B"&$X4&":$B"&$Y4) defines a range from the row number stored in X4 to the row number stored in Y4. You can probably achieve exactly the same using the OFFSET() function::
=OFFSET(sheet1.B1;X4-1;0;Y4-X4+1;1) might do the job. (Depending on what behaviour you need when inserting/deleting rows/columns, you may want a different starting point, and different displacement values. Hence, jkrideau's question on what you want to achieve is still valid.)

The INDIRECT() function uses string representations of cell references, which makes the addressing "hardcoded". OFFSET() uses a real reference as the starting point, so it will update to reflect changes in he worksheet.
SharkD
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

keme wrote:
=INDIRECT("Sheet1.$B"&$X4&":$B"&$Y4) defines a range from the row number stored in X4 to the row number stored in Y4. You can probably achieve exactly the same using the OFFSET() function::
=OFFSET(sheet1.B1;X4-1;0;Y4-X4+1;1) might do the job. (Depending on what behaviour you need when inserting/deleting rows/columns, you may want a different starting point, and different displacement values. Hence, jkrideau's question on what you want to achieve is still valid.)

The INDIRECT() function uses string representations of cell references, which makes the addressing "hardcoded". OFFSET() uses a real reference as the starting point, so it will update to reflect changes in he worksheet.

Thanks, that looks like a winner!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: