OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Bringing up another application while in a slideshow

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Impress
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jackson

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 6:08 pm    Post subject: Bringing up another application while in a slideshow Reply with quote

Hello,

I am hoping I am just missing something. I can not figure out how to bring up another window (ie to demo an application) while in a slideshow without hitting escape and stopping my slideshow. After I do that I have to start the show over from the begining.

Thanks a million to anyone that helps.
Jackson
dfrench

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In win2000, Alt-TAB or Ctrl-ESC if you haven't started the application yet... could it be that microsoft has got something useful Very Happy
jackson

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually using GNOME, alt-tab does 'work' I can bring up the alt-tab menu and cycle between programs but if I choose one impress still stays in front (yes I have unchecked 'presentation allways on top') so my applications are not visible.
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Linux "on the side" and don't cliam to be an expert. I have the Gnome desktop under Redhat 7.2 and it (Gnome) supports multiple desktops or workspaces that are actually handled by a separate Windows Manager program - mine is named Sawfish.

Each workwork space can have its own app(s) running and if you don't have little rectangles representing the different workspaces that you can click in the bottom bar then you can switch between them with Alt+F1, F2, etc. (If multiple workspaces are active then you can also start an app in workspace 1 and move it to workspace 2 using the menu you can open in the upper left of the app. Not being in Linux at the moment to check this, I believe you can also have the an app active in all workspaces by using the Stick pin. )

To check if you already have more than 1 workspace start an app and fool with Alt+Fx and see if you get a clean desktop. If you need to set up more workspaces try something like StartHere > Preferences > Desktop or Workspace or Sawfish and fool around. I doubt you will have any problems knowing when you find the right place to specify the number of workspaces.

KDE also supports multiple workspaces and I have little doubt that other desktop managers do as well.

Hope this is of some help.
JohnV
The Liquidator
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having tried this I confirm that if you are actually running a presentation, the alt+tab combination enables a box so it looks like you can switch, but you can't. When you release the keys, it's still the presentation on top.

Ian
dfrench

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks flaky then rather than hard and fast. Before my previous post I checked the behaviour, as you did, Ian. I do note that the default setting for slide show is for "always on top" which seems to work for me as intended.
The Liquidator
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, my statement does look rather a sweeping one!

It happens on my laptop, Mandrake 9 KDE 3 whether or not I have presentation set to be "always on top".

It could always be a desktop config issue, of course, in my case but being new to Linux I wouldn't know where to begin. Next time I boot up Win, I'll check if it's the same there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Impress All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: