OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

How to print the borders of empty cells [solved]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ewald
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:03 am    Post subject: How to print the borders of empty cells [solved] Reply with quote

I'd like to print out a form to be filled in using the archaic method of handwriting but I can't get the empty cells to be printed with borders. Can anyone give me a hint?

Last edited by Ewald on Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:58 am; edited 1 time in total
probe1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

F1 Online Help
Format>Page...>Sheet>Print>Grid
DateTime2 extension: insert date, time or timestamp, formatted to your needs
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The borders displayed in Calc are for display purposes only so you have to do real borders. Select a range, do Format > Cells > Borders tab, select a Style and to the left click the 4th icon. Put a space in the last cell in the range so OOo won't refuse to print a blank area and print.
Ewald
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried that but it didn't help. I also checked any print ranges, tried to copy the whole sheet to a new file with default settings, I just can't get it to work somehow. I know I did this before but with this file no luck!
james_h
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:37 am    Post subject: OOo 3 Calc - How to format a cell with a border Reply with quote

Click a cell to be printed with a border.
Format > Cells > Border
Under Line Style, choose a line width and a colour.
Under Line Arrangement, Default, click the icon with the Tool tip Set All Four Borders.
Click OK.
Repeat for each cell to be formatted with a border.
Ewald
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help guys, I did tried all your suggestions and while messing around I found out about the real problem:
The borders of empty cells don't show up in the page preview which I used for testing the result assuming that the page preview would be a real preview which apparently it isn't since when I actually print from a preview not showing the borders the borders are still printed. Bummer!
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ewald wrote:
Thanks for your help guys, I did tried all your suggestions and while messing around I found out about the real problem:
The borders of empty cells don't show up in the page preview which I used for testing the result assuming that the page preview would be a real preview which apparently it isn't since when I actually print from a preview not showing the borders the borders are still printed. Bummer!

I just tried that. I think you may have found a bug or perhaps an undocumented feature. I see that the grid appears as soon as even one cell has anything in it.
Altvamp

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Calc not printing empty cells Reply with quote

I am not sure if this is the same problem but I suspect it is, I am trying to print a single page area of one filled in column and 5 empty ones for people to write in, There is a border and I'm sure in Excel this would ensure the empty columns would print, but it seems in Open Office it will not print empty columns even with borders, the only way I can get it to print the full page of empty columns is to put some character (space does work) in one of the far right cells. I've tried the suggestions here with no success and although I can do it by putting a space or non visible character in one of the far right cells it does not seem right to have to do this.
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I selected the empty range A1:C10, did Format > Cells > Border tab, selected the small line, clicked the icon with all cells having borders and OKed out. All cells in A1:C10 now show darker borders and they print as well with nothing needing to be in any cell.

This is also displayed correctly at Edit > Page Preview. AOO4.0.1 under Windows
leftler

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnV wrote:
I selected the empty range A1:C10 ...

I can re-create the problem by selecting the range A:C, when you apply the formatting to the full column it will only show the borders up to the last line that has text

Just one line of text

Two lines of text

Text in the 2nd column
[/img]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: