OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Open Office Writer still frozen

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
el10
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:59 pm    Post subject: Open Office Writer still frozen Reply with quote

Hello James_h, Hope you are well. It has been a long time January? December?
The problems are still the same.
I have had & have problems using OpenOffice clashing on my laptop (Compaq nx7400) running first Ubutu 8 10 and now 9 04. When I fire up OpenOffice from the application menu I get a DOCUMENT RECOVERY window which does not display the RECOVERY BUTTON as it is below the screen and therefore prevents me to recover the document and use Open Office writer.
I have had the very helpful assistance of James_h. But as the difficulties continued I abandoned “writer” and returned to WORD PERFECT. It also meant that I had difficulties in using Ubuntu. I used Abiword but I missed the facilities offered by OPEN OFFICE.
With Ubuntu 9 04 earlier this year I decided to have anther go and installed it on my laptop (Compaq nx 7400).
OPEN OFFICE crashed again every time I loaded it. I then used the command line and removed the file listed on the document recovery windows (which does not respond to anything except the “recovery button “ which is not visible ( see attached screenshot “Ooo_U904.png” file).

I tried to apply “James_h” advise by renaming “.openofficeorg-3.0 old.openoffice.bla.bla” but somehow while this worked on OPEN OFFICE v 2.4 it does not seem to work on Open office version 3 /or Ubuntu 9 04. It did work on 8 10 and openOffice 2.4.
I get around this problem by Using System, Preferences, “Display” and turning the screen 90 degrees left or right thus revealing the recovery button and with enormous difficulties manage to click on it. After a few seconds the screen returns to it normal settings and I could continue to use Writer. Next time I switch on my laptop I will have to start all over again.
However I have made an USB live Fedora core 11 on which I have loaded “ Writer” and there are NO problems .
The document recovery windows appears in full with the recovery button visible and usable. (see attached screenshot “Ooo_F11.png)

The resolution is the same for both OS at 1280 x 800
All this suggests to me that it is an Ubuntu problem ? Why is it that with the same resolution Fedora 11 displays the full windows ??
I would be grateful for any assistance to resolve this problem which has been with me for almost a year.
Thank you.
Elio
PS: I have inserted the two screen shots mentioned but they do not appear on this post.
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the official version (Sun): [Ubuntu] Installing OOo on Debian and Co.

And after installation, reset your OOo user profile but don't transfer your personal data during the welcome process (if you had 2.x before), configuration files from the former version might corrupt the new profile.
el10
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:44 pm    Post subject: Open Office Writer still frozen Reply with quote

Thank you Hagar de l'Est for your help. I have downloaded the latest Ooo 3.1.1 from the site you suggested and copied the five steps of your tutorial, But it may take me sometime before I will have time to have a go at installing it, but I will let you know. Thank you again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: