OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Mail Merge: When a field is empty... problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coume
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 12:47 am    Post subject: Mail Merge: When a field is empty... problem Reply with quote

Hello,

I created a letter that I fill up thanks to the database features.
but there is a problem.

When I ask to print the letter, if some fields where empty in the DB, it prints me the fields nam I.E
Position: <POSITION>
when I would like to get Position: "Follow by nothing as it was an empty field..."

Any idea how to do so??

Thxs in advance
Ludo
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I presume you don't have View > Fields turned on.

I have never experienced this problem but there was just a thread in the SO forum about it. The final answer, from a Sun employee, was that this will occur if your Data Source name contains a space. Could this be your problem?
redrgreen
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this only happens when your query does not return the field in question, not when the data in the filed is empty, e.g in the case of the field <position>
if your query was SELECT firstname, surname FROM table, and you had a texfield called position in your letter then when it printed you would see <position> in the printed letter. however if your query was SELECT firstname, surname, position FROM table then even is position contains no data you will no longer see <position> but instead its value in this case an empty string, ie nothing.
coume
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnV wrote:
I presume you don't have View > Fields turned on.

I have never experienced this problem but there was just a thread in the SO forum about it. The final answer, from a Sun employee, was that this will occur if your Data Source name contains a space. Could this be your problem?

Yep my data source name contains spaces... I have to try to modify everything to see if it will solve the thing! argh Sad

I'll keep you updated

Ludo
coume
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

redrgreen wrote:
I think this only happens when your query does not return the field in question, not when the data in the filed is empty, e.g in the case of the field <position>
if your query was SELECT firstname, surname FROM table, and you had a texfield called position in your letter then when it printed you would see <position> in the printed letter. however if your query was SELECT firstname, surname, position FROM table then even is position contains no data you will no longer see <position> but instead its value in this case an empty string, ie nothing.

To add the field, I just make them slide from the data source to my letter, I don't know how to modify the query then...

Ludo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: