OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

linux rh8 openoffice[1.02] -- Can't get printer working

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
plowbearh

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 7:56 am    Post subject: linux rh8 openoffice[1.02] -- Can't get printer working Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm using a cups printer mechanism (I don't know the proper name for it). I installed my driver etc and followed the directions found at http://www.linuxprinting.org .

I ran the spadmin program and it appears to have set up the printer.

If I run kwrite (I'm using kde), my files print correctly.

if i try the test button from spadmin, spadmin closes and prints ABORTED at the console.

If I run soffice and try to print one of my files, it appears to print correctly. However when I walk to the other side of the office my print outs are not there. I don't seem to get any error messages.

Does anyone have some clues as to what I need to do to get printing working from soffice? (I'm using openoffice 1.02)

My printer is a network printer and according to linuxprinting.org the HP 4200 is a perfect match for linux....
Question
RGB
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look here:
http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=595&highlight=cups
plowbearh

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RGB wrote:
Have a look here:
http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=595&highlight=cups

Thanks I tried that.

It doesn't appear to work. Now Open Office crashes when I try to print.

I am thinking of installing a newer version of OpenOffice.
RGB
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installing a new version is a good idea. Here is a text I found some time ago (I don't remember where) for printing:
Quote:

OOo is set up to print through good old lpr, not the CUPS system that's now the default in SuSE, Mandrake, and some other distributions.

But changing that default to CUPS is literally the work of five seconds. All you need to do is click around in the "print setup" or "print preferences" section of the application that won't print until you find something that looks like "Print Command," followed by a little window with something like "lpr" followed by some text in it.

Highlight and delete that text.

Now, without closing that window, make some space on your screen so you can see the "printer" icon on your (KDE) desktop, and right-click it. From the menu that'll appear, click "preferences," then click "execute." You'll see a line marked "Command" that has a window containing something like this:

/otp/kde3/bin/startprint %u

You can paste this line into that "Print Command" space in your application, and suddenly you'll be printing away, no problem, without even having to log in as root to make this little change.

Hope this helps you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: