OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Calc Scalability

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 12:29 pm    Post subject: Calc Scalability Reply with quote

I am interested in the feasibility of using Calc as part of a server application running large spreadsheet files (currently 100+ linked worksheets in excel)... and ultimately multiple concurrent instances of Calc with such files. I understand there is a 32K row limit. What else is known about Calc's scalability characteristics or how they may be improved in Q/OO2? Thx, stevef
erikanderson3
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of particular note, OOo is currently not thread safe. This makes it mostly unsuitable as a server, unless you have some other app running as a queue and only handing new tasks to OOo once the previous one has completed. I don't know what the status is of this issue vis-a-vis OOo 2.0.

Cheers,

Erik
antonbijl
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO, Calc isn't ready for this type of task. Apart from the fact that it isn't really suitable as a server as Erik mentioned above, my experience is that it struggles with large spreadsheets too.

I have a 72-sheet spreadsheet with an average of about 100 rows per sheet and about 15 columns per sheet and performance is horrible (That's running OOo 1.1.1 under WinXP on a Pentium 4, 2.4GHz machine with 512 MB RAM). If I double the amount of rows in each sheet performance degrades to such an extent that the spreadsheet becomes completely unusable. Ok, this is a special case and I am using a lot of lookups between the various sheets etc. etc., but still (as much I hate admitting it) the same spreadsheet in Excel performs markedly better.

HTH

Anton
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: