OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Stuck at the finish line: making address labels

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lorelei
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:48 am    Post subject: Stuck at the finish line: making address labels Reply with quote

I am following the directions in HELP to make address labels. I have a beautiful Writer page showing 30 lovely labels, with the appropriate fields.

Now I am stuck. Instruction #12 says: [u]On the Table Data bar, click the Data to Fields icon.[/u]

But where is that icon? and lacking that, what alternative strategy do I use to have the actual data showing instead of the field names?

I know it's something incredibly simple but I can't seem to find it.

Please advise.
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Open the file, press F4 (or View > Data Sources), then open your database and table. Select at least 1 record with the box to its left. The Data to Field icon* is found above the field names and is the 4th from right.

This is in Windows but the Mac version should be similar.

The Help for labels is bad. You should prepare your labels on the Label tab in the Wizard, you can access your Database, Table and fields in the boxes on the right and use the arrow to move fields to the left where you can do simple editing. When you click New Document OOo automatically inserts the necessary Next Record field.

* Even if you can't find it you can still print your labels. Click the Print icon and answer 'yes' to the 'form letter' query.
Lorelei
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:35 pm    Post subject: Stuck Reply with quote

I have done all that. It's a Mac thing, I guess. There is no icon that does what I want. I mean, no icon I can find. Crying or Very sad
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hard for in Windows user to give Mac advice but I'll try.

Open a new Writer document and look at the top toolbars. Press F4 and you should now see an additional toolbar just below the original ones.

If it's not there (sometimes happens) and you were a Windows user I would tell you to shut down OOo and the QuickStarter, if applicable. Then rename the "user" directory (think it's in your Home directory on a Mac) and restart OOo which will build a new one.

The user directory holds all your personal setting include your templates and macros which you can retrieve from the appropriate sub-directories in the renamed user directory.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: