OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Problem with math formulas in Impress

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Impress
View previous topic :: View next topic  
morvael

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 7:38 am    Post subject: Problem with math formulas in Impress Reply with quote

I had to prepare two presentations with lost of mathematical equations. I used the formula object but I have noticed that it is not optimal in use.

1)
While in Writer, the formula object is integrating with the text flow, in Impress it is not. And I had to place it manually and make empty space in the text below.

Is there any way to integrate formulas into text area in Impress?

2)
This is a rather general issue with formulas. How can I make floor/ceil symbol in the formula. There are many braces like ( [ { < | and so on but no floor/ceil symbol.

I hope someone knows the answers to these problems.

Anyway - OOO is the best office suite for me!
ftack

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Formula's behave like any other graphical object, both in Writer as in Impress. In Writer, graphical objects can be anchored as a character, but not in Impress.

A possible option for you is that you create the text and formula's that go with it in Writer, then copy and paste it in Impress as an embedded object. There is also one caveat here: you can edit an embedded object after double clicking on it. However, you will notice that you can't edit the formula anymore, i.e., you can't edit an embedded object (the Math equation) contained within an embedded object (the Writer doc) (however, you still can write out the object to a file, edit it in Write, then reinsert it in Impress). Another warning: beware of the way OOo inserts a Writer object by default. You will need to double-click it and then drag the borders to display it the way you want.

What exactly are the floor/ceil symbols? Hopefully someone else can help there.
dkeith
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
lceil 2.5 rceil = 3, lfloor 2.5 rfloor = 2
morvael

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the floor/ceil! It seems that they are missing from the Selection toolbox anyway. But they work.

As for the first problem - well, I have to live with it for now. But is it planned in future releases of OOo to either:
a) allow anchoring graphical objects as characters in Impress
or
b) allow editing OOo (at least) embedded object within embedded object?

Regards
ftack

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a) I do not know
b) I filed an issue on that but at present it has not yet been confirmed.
http://qa.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=27439
dkeith
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at the formula reference tables in Math help. There's all sorts of things that are not in the selection toolbox.
morvael

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks, I looked into Math help.

But this reminded me of another issue - this time it is rather about Math but I continue in this thread.

Problem:
One can make equality symbol using "=" and unequality symbol using "<>" or "neq".
One can also make congruence/equivalence symbol (three horizontal lines) using "equiv".

But I can't see (in Math help too) how to make unequivalence symbol (three horizontal lines with a slash on them. Is it impossible?

If not then maybe "nequiv" would be a good command for it.
ftack

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Morvael. You have already experienced that posing two questions in one thread already is confusing. So please don't hesitate to open a new thread for a new problem. Only combine problems when they are related. For independent issues, it is perfectly fine to open different treads. So I invite you to post these new questions in a new thread in the appropriate forum (Math)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Impress All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: