OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

All files open read only Win 7--solution

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pastwriter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:23 pm    Post subject: All files open read only Win 7--solution Reply with quote

I just installed Open Office 3.1 and migrated all my old files from a previous XP computer. Now all my files (word, calc) open as read only files. In my case, this was about permissions. Here is what I did--let me know if it works for you.

1.) Find your read only file in Explorer. Right click on properties.
2.) Click on the security tab.
3. Highlight each of the group or user names. When each one is highlighted, look in the permissions box below. In my case, one of the users/groups did not have "full control."
4.) To remedy this, click on edit after "to change permissions"
5.) Highlight the user or group which did not have "full control."
6.) Click in the window below on "full control."
7.) Then highlight the user/group that did not have full control.
8.) Click on Add.
9. In the object name box, type a word or two of the user/group that did not have full control.
10.) Click on "check names" and the proper version of the user/group that did not have full control will appear.
11.) Click on OK
12.) Click on Ok

Leave a reply if this helps. Thanks.

But I have hundreds of files; anyone know how I could do a batch file that would change all of them?

I hope this helps some poor confused person like I was. (I had the same problem with MS Word in XP; I gather it has to do with the NTFS file system.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: