OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

How to remove gray background from links in cells?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CalypsoArt
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:56 pm    Post subject: How to remove gray background from links in cells? Reply with quote

So I have a bunch of cells with links. They all have the gray background around the link text. not the cell background as this is different. I cannot find how to format without the gray showing up. I looked at styles but there is no link formatting style listed so I can't find where to change this.
Any suggestions?
Sliderule
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please check the Calc Help File . . . for the topic:

URL;turning off URL recognition

It says:

Calc Help: URL;turning off URL recognition wrote:

Turning off Automatic URL Recognition

When you enter text, OpenOffice.org automatically recognizes a word that may be a URL and replaces the word with a hyperlink. OpenOffice.org formats the hyperlink with direct font attributes (color and underline) the properties of which are obtained from certain Character Styles.

If you do not want OpenOffice.org to automatically recognize URLs as you are typing, there are several ways of turning off this feature.

Undo URL Recognition

1.When you are typing and notice that a text has just been automatically converted into a hyperlink, press Ctrl+Z to undo this formatting.
2.If you do not notice this conversion until later, select the hyperlink and choose the menu command Format - Default Formatting.

Turn off URL Recognition

1.Load a document of the type for which you want to modify the URL recognition.
If you want to modify the URL recognition for text documents, open a text document.
2.Choose Tools - AutoCorrect Options.
3.In the AutoCorrect dialog, select the Options tab.
4.If you unmark URL Recognition, words will no longer be automatically replaced with hyperlinks.
In OpenOffice.org Writer there are two check boxes in front of URL Recognition. The box in the first column is for later post-editing and the box in the second column is for AutoCorrect as you type.

I hope this helps, please be sure to let me / us know.

Sliderule

Thanks to add [Solved] in your first post title ( edit button ) if your issue has been fixed / resolved.
CalypsoArt
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply.
Actually, I want the text to remain as a hyperlink, I just want the gray background that accompanies the link formatting to be removed. I would think that somewhere are instructions on how to format the links so this can be changed. However I cannot find it. In the help file I find info on formatting under a Hyperlink.

Choose Format - Character - Hyperlink tab

However, I have no Hyperlink Tab under my character menu in Calc.

Villeroy
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fields are borrowed from Writer.
Tools>Options...OOo>Appearance, section "Text Document", "Field Shading"
In a spreadsheet you can also collect the URLs and the labels in different editable cells and use the HYPERLINK function to get a hyperlink from both values. The formula cells can be styled anyhow.
Playing with hyperlinks in a spreadsheet: http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/download/file.php?id=716
CalypsoArt
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Villeroy wrote:
The fields are borrowed from Writer.
Tools>Options...OOo>Appearance, section "Text Document", "Field Shading"
In a spreadsheet you can also collect the URLs and the labels in different editable cells and use the HYPERLINK function to get a hyperlink from both values. The formula cells can be styled anyhow.
Playing with hyperlinks in a spreadsheet: http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/download/file.php?id=716

Thanks for the info. However, switching off "Field Shading" does not remove the shading in this existing file. any suggestions on how to retain the link withouth the shading. I am a newbie at a lot of this.
Sliderule
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CalypsoArt:

Just so you know, Villeroy's suggestion does work for me. Specifically, from the Menu:

Tools -> Options... -> Appearance -> Text Document Field shading select it ( a check mark on the left ) -> Choose a colour of White ( or whatever the 'background' cell colour you are using ).

I hope this helps, please be sure to let me / us know.

Sliderule

Thanks to add [Solved] in your first post title ( edit button ) if your issue has been fixed / resolved.
CalypsoArt
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Rather than switching of field shading I changed it to white and that worked.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: