OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Has writer a page limit?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vfredfmah
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:00 am    Post subject: Has writer a page limit? Reply with quote

Dear Friends,
I wanted to put my notes into the 18F2520.pdf datasheet, so I converted it into the .odt writer format.

My .pdf converter is deskUNPDF V3. The conversion pdf to .odt , produces about 1or 2 pages a second... that is OK for me.

The converted .odt has 392 pages and is about 9MB in size.

This resulting 18F2520.odt loads and moves very slowly., here I'm talking about times approaching an hour.

I thought maybe I haven't enough memory and the problem was temporary storage taking place to and from my HD.

Just to check this possibility, l I converted the same 18F2520.pdf into MSword office 2000 .doc format. The conversion PDF2DOC was at about the same speed as before, 1 to 2 pages per second.

This time the 18F2520.doc loads and can be manipulated in about 30 seconds.
Also I find I can move around the .doc format quickly going from say page 1 to 398 as fast as I can drag the right hand slide bar.

As this is the first time I've converted a large .pdf to .odt I hadn't thought about how OO does such things?

Comments please

Bye
Fred

vfredfmah
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:13 am    Post subject: Writer page Limit Reply with quote

Dear friends, I see that my original post, 3rd August has surprisingly got no replies to a very simple question.... I'll put it another way.

HOW MANY PAGES CAN A WRITER ODT HOLD.. before it says ENOUGH

Surely any of our good forum gurus should be able to give a some sort of number total

e.g With 2GB free memory:- 3000 TEXT pages
or
TEXT with one DRAWING per page :-500 pages
or
no limit in limitless time.

Bye

Fred
probe1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What should I say ... have an ODT with 1189 pages (text only, a TOC; fields: chapter names in header, filename and page statistic in footer), which loads in about 5 seconds.
OOo then holds 630 MB of a total of 4GB RAM (STANDARD and my personal macro library loaded), where -now that 11 application are running/loaded- are 35MB are "free".

openSuSE Linux 11.1 (x86_64), Intel P4 2.8

Does this help you?
DateTime2 extension: insert date, time or timestamp, formatted to your needs
floris_v

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peace. Smile I understand your frustration, but we're just other users. With some gurus in between, to be sure.
From what I've heard in this forum, OOo was designed to work with large documents, but I sometimes run into problems with files much smaller than yours.
You should mention what OS you have and what version of OOo, that can really make a difference. And I don't know a lot about graphics in OOo, but it's possible that it handles some formats better than others, and it's possible that it handles the ones in your file rather badly. So, you should give more details about that as well.
vfredfmah
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both for the reply.
No I'm not knocking, far from it, I really like Writer and just want to get a rough idea of what is reasonable to expect and what is not

I am really talking about document conversion of PDF files to text. When one looks at the Page layout after a PDF to ODT conversion , the page is full of little boxes. By some miricle it all looks good in the Preview option....I suspect that writer is shying at so many little boxes.

Getting back to the issue. Specifically the reason behind my question is that MSWORD seems to handle my technical PDF to DOC document far quicker than Writer does the document that has been converted PDF to ODT.

But as I said in the beginning, I like Writer and I'll keep on watching the other route via Drawing for PDF conversion.

Bye, many thanks and maybe we should drop this thread until we have a more mature way to handle pdfs

Bye
Fred

Sorry I almost forgot
WiinXP pro, SP2, RAM Memory 3GB, processor intel dual core 2.66GB
floris_v

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My best guess is that the pdf to odf converter isn't very good. In that case you're just out of luck.
And you don't have to like OOo as far as I'm concerned. Use it for what it's good at, and use something else for the rest.
use2b2hotinphx

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject: witer page limit Reply with quote

I have also experienced page limitations on importing to Writer. When I looked at the imported text, I found that all of the locations that I expect a paragraph character entry had line breaks instead. I have not gotten to the bottom of this yet, but I suspect there is a line entry limit, rather than a file size limit. Upon changing the line breaks to paragraph breaks, I was able to add more material to the file.

Hope this helps Smile
probe1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: witer page limit Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum.

use2b2hotinphx wrote:
that I expect a paragraph character entry had line breaks instead

This is the known limitation on a paragraph of 64KB Text.
DateTime2 extension: insert date, time or timestamp, formatted to your needs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: