OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Word 2007 Compatibility

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cajunlibra
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:51 pm    Post subject: Word 2007 Compatibility Reply with quote

I am writing my thesis in OOo 3.1.1 using Zotero on FF. Unfortunately, I am supposed to turn in an MS Word Doc instead of a PDF.

I have noticed that Office 2007 now can open OOo documents. Should I attempt to save my thesis as a 2003 doc and see if 2007 opens it correctly or leave it as odt and see if it opens correctly? I have had experience in the past where OOo did not correctly create a 2003 doc that included tables and embedded spreadsheets.
rjwilmsi
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your best bet is to write a document an Open Document Text document, and then at the end convert it into a Microsoft Word document. Generally import filters work better than export filters, so I would think your best option is to open the text document in Microsoft Word and convert it from there.
PGAGA
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friday 01 January 2010

In all things protect your written work. Use copies to test any instructions.

You did not say which Word format you are to use. The DOC format saved with the latest version of OOo appears to have dealt with the issue you described. Before the porblem was fixed, I used OOo2.x to save in DOC format.

Sun has provided a ODT import filter for Word 2007 and my tests indicate that it works well.

If a professor is requiring DOCX, gently remind them that IBM has decided that ODT is the format to be used for all their documents. Also in the light of January changes being made to the DOCX format (result of illegal use of code), remind the professor that until the format is stabilized it is not wise to use it.

Phil
SandalFeaster
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Pretty much as PGAGA - keep loads of backups!

I've recently submitted my dissertation (fortunately I could submit on PDF). I did however export to Word 97/2003 for purpose of back-up (also just in-case I needed to submit to the palgiarism tests) and wheras it did a pretty good job, I would have needed to go through the document and amend prior to committing to print and binding. The export to Word 2007 (docx) wasn't very good, so I binned it.

Thumbs up to Zotero - a fine tool.

Good luck.

Key
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: