OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Problem with OOo/Scim: Japanese input suddenly stops workin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peterson1000
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:43 pm    Post subject: Problem with OOo/Scim: Japanese input suddenly stops workin Reply with quote

I installed openSUSE 11.2 yesterday, and with it OpenOffice 3.1.1.

I've been typing some some things in Japanese and/or European accented characters, using Scim-Anthy / Scim-t-latn-pre as the input method, and just now, all of a sudden, the input doesn't work anymore. Just like that! Nothing changed about my installation, nothing updated, nor anything else.

IInstead, I now get funky letters, for example in Japanese mostly something like "cc c/c+c;ccc'cc" (Hm, is this the usual gibberish you get if the program can't cope with 2-byte characters? I don't know ... )

I assume it has something to do with Scim, because copy&pasting Japanese text into an OOo document works fine. At the same time, using Scim in any other program (like Kontact, Firefox, etc.) works fine, too, so perhaps something is messed up when Scim tries to communicate with OOo?

Can anybody help?
Robert Tucker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SCIM can be a bit temperamental at times. So can ibus, but you may want to try it (and other IME's) for Japanese input. I take it you've tried saving your document, closing OpenOffice and then starting it again. What about logging off and logging back in again? Presumably it starts working again after a reboot.
Peterson1000
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert,

thanks for the quick reply. I've tried rebooting, and interestingly it works -- sometimes ... That is, it worked once, then, after a while, the problem came up again, and currently after several reboots it's not working.

Do happen to know what the root of the problem is?

Thanks, by the way, for mentioning ibus, I didn't know about it!
Robert Tucker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, unfortunately, I do not know what the problem is; I've had a bit of a hit and miss history with SCIM myself. Are you using Gnome or KDE? Possibly, particularly on SuSE, people have more problems using SCIM on KDE than Gnome – and then there is SKIM...

Note: if you do install ibus you may need to uninstall SCIM. I doubt that the two can (surmise that they cannot) work automatically at the same time because of the XMODIFIERS etc settings.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: