OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Help with Open Office Calc

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robertcray

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:11 pm    Post subject: Help with Open Office Calc Reply with quote

Hi..I just started using a template from Openoffice.org.. I am using the template as a checkbook register. Usually when I enter the data and click the next line below it it calculates the new balance..I used it for like 1/2 an hour this morning then came back an hour later and started entering new data - but now it will not calculate the new balance..any ideas what I can do. I saved it closed it down and then restarted..but it still will not work..any ideas how to get this to work again would be appreciated.

Thanks
Robertcray
ken johnson
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is somebody playing tricks on you and turning off AutoCalculate while you are away from the keyboard?
Go Tools|Cell Contents and make sure there is a tick for AutoCalculate.

Ken Johnson
robertcray

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:13 am    Post subject: Hel;p with Open Office Calc Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. For some reason the Auto Calculate was not checked. I checked the box. Unfortunately it still will not work. Any other ideas. Thanks..
ken johnson
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the format of the cells into which you are adding data?
If the format is Text then the numbers you are adding are text and they will contribute nothing to the new balance.

Ken Johnson
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, text numbers will normally be left aligned and real numbers, right aligned.
robertcray

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ken..I appreciate all the assistance you gave me. I got it to work finally. I needed to copy one of the "H" cell columns that was working and then paste that formula from line 31 down - which is the line where the calculator stopped working. After I pasted the formula in column H lines 31 and below that activated the calculate function in those lines. Thanks again..

Robert
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: