OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

How to erase Linux partition from PC?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shuwang

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:37 am    Post subject: How to erase Linux partition from PC? Reply with quote

How do I erase a linux partition on my hard drive? I have vista installed on one hard drive and fedora 10 linux installed on the other hard drive. How can I remove the linux partition since windows doesn't recognize linux partitions?
ftack

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you remove the linux partition, you won't be able to use Fedora again.
For manipulating partitions, use a partition editor. You can use the tool that comes with Windows as well.
Robert Tucker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: How to erase Linux partition from PC? Reply with quote

shuwang wrote:
How do I erase a linux partition on my hard drive? I have vista installed on one hard drive and fedora 10 linux installed on the other hard drive. How can I remove the linux partition since windows doesn't recognize linux partitions?

With Ext2Fsd and possibly one or two other facilities you can read ext2 and ext3 (and ext4?) Linux partition on Windows.

I installed Windows 7 on my machine which has a 30GB 10000rpm hard drive and a 500GB 72000 rpm hard drive then used the Windows partition editor to "free up" about half the smaller faster drive on which I installed Fedora. The 500GB disc was, I found, formatted in NTFS. This was OK, except it had a long alphanumeric filename on Linux and would, being Windows, know nothing about permissions. I therefore backed up my data and reformatted the 500GB to Ext3 which I access from Windows using Ext2Fsd. [I still can't get PostgreSQL to install with just the databases on the larger disc though!]
keme

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you boot your Windows install media, there should be an option to edit partitions. Select any partition marked as "unknown" and delete it.

Note that you may benefit from having a multiboot environment. You can set it up in Windows, but using a linux boot record/boot manager is probably easier. (Linux detects Windows and configures the boot manager automatically. With Windows you need to know exactly what you're doing).
peterroots
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your problem is that windows won't detect the linux partition for booting, always make sure you install linux after windows as linux will properly set up your boot manager.
if you mean that windows can't see files on the linux partition when you running windows consider mounting the windows partition in Linux and linking Documents in Linux to your my documents folder on the windows partition. that way files saved in Documents actually end up on the windows partition - Note that, as Robert said, you won't get linux file permissions saved properly.
Valinor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:07 am    Post subject: On the nature of partitions Reply with quote

Something that hasn't been pointed out is that removing the linux partition won't give your windows OS access to the space on the hard drive that it occupied.

It occurs to me (and pardon me for my presumption) that you might be under the impression that a partition on a drive is something like a partition in a house: if you remove a partition in a house, then two adjoining parts of the house become open to one another. In a house, the partition is the wall that separates two apartments, but on a drive, the rooms themselves are the partitions. If you remove the partition on a drive, then, the room ceases to exist (in a format that is usable).

If you really want to remove the linux partition, you won't have linux on your drive anymore. And if you want your windows partition to be able to access the space that the linux partition used to occupy, you'll have to create a new partition on that space and format it in such a way that windows can access it (maybe by putting windows on the new partition, I dunno).

peterroots gives the most practical solution, I think.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: