OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Lost password with .sxw

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Corp Por

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:10 pm    Post subject: Lost password with .sxw Reply with quote

Well...ok. I used to password my documents so that my roommate couldn't browse through my computer and see what I was writing. Mostly it was just homework, short stories, etc etc. So anyways, recently I discovered a file that I had not only hidden in my system directory with an obscure name, but had also passworded. I can't remember the password, and I really want to know what's in that file. I spent 20 minutes last night trying to figure it out, and whereas I was only mildly curious when I began, now I am possessed by a madness that is crushing my sanity in it's cruel grip.

Uh...yea. So, what are my options? Run some brute-force password retrevial software on it for a couple days, 'til it randomly figures it out? Or is there an OOo-specific solution available to me?

Your help is much appreciated.
8daysaweek.co.uk
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Corp Por,

Hope this helps you hold on to your sanity:
http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=23014

BFN Smile,
hol.sten
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Lost password with .sxw Reply with quote

Corp Por wrote:
Run some brute-force password retrevial software on it for a couple days, 'til it randomly figures it out? Or is there an OOo-specific solution available to me?

Your help is much appreciated.

If this thread http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=20791 is not help, because it concerns Calc, try a brute force approach. OOo doesn't offer a specific solution.

With kind regards
hol.sten
avantman42
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As mentioned in this thread, I wrote a password cracker a while ago. I'd intended to put it on OOoMacros, but still haven't got around to it, and you still have to edit the macro to change settings. For the time being, you can get it from:
http://www.phillipsuk.org/tmp/OOoPasswordCracker.zip

It uses dictionary files of passwords, so if you have an idea of likely passwords, it might be a good option. Alternatively, Andrew Pitonyak posted code to the above thread that runs a brute force attack, trying different combinations of characters.

Russ
sindrain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:27 pm    Post subject: Trouble using OOoPasswordCracker - "For security reason Reply with quote

Hi

Thanks Russ for this macro, but ...

OOo 3.1.1 on WinXp SP2. When I try to run the OOoPasswordCracker/.../main from the calc menu nothing (seems to) happen.

When I push the "Run Basic" button in the basic edit window (this is basic? cool!) I get the popup "For security reasons, you cannot run this macro ..."

I've set all the macro security settings that I can find (I don't, as a rule, calc. I do, though, Octave.) to their lowest (most permissive) settings.

What else can I do?

Thanks
Doug
sindrain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:27 am    Post subject: Solved Reply with quote

Either the upgrade to OOo 3.2 or a reset or restart or ??? solved my problem.

The cracker goes through about 200 passwords in 3 files in about 22 secs.

Cool! Thanks.
Doug
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: